• Advertisement

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Infinite binary tree blending

This topic is 5329 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been striving to understand recently the way blending works, and tried to create a "good" system to use blending to create any effect imaginable easily. My current system is made up of blending stages that work in the following way: - Get alpha and color from one or two sources - Set blending operations - Render the result color and alpha to the destination pixel Since the color is written to the destination pixel, the only thing I can do is create a (theoretically infinite) chain with the stages, each stage using the output of the previous stage as input, like this: Chain However, this is still limited, because I may need to do computations that cannot be solved as a chain of stages, for instance : ( Texture 1 + Texture 2 ) * ( Light 1 + Light 2 ) This all boils down to being able to set up a "tree" of stages, like this: Tree A few solutions come to my mind, but I don''t know how I could implement them. 1°/ Replace the tree computation by an equivalent chain computation, using inverse stages. for instance, a * b + c * d = a * ( b + c * d / a ) The problem with this is actually determinating the inverse stage, for instance the "divide", inverse modulate, stage? 2°/ Rendering each stage in the tree to a texture instead of the screen, virtually turning each stage into a source. The problem is I don''t know how to go about matching correctly the pixels during write and read. Thank you for your help! ToohrVyk

• Advertisement