• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

video driver is acting up

This topic is 5302 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

After many many hours of frustration, I finally got desparate and turned on the reference drivers. It worked perfectly! I am soooo frustrated right now it's not even funny . I took my program over to my sister's computer and...it worked perfectly! I have a Radeon 8500 with the latest drivers, and she has a 7500 with drivers that are a few months old. Are there any specific problems with the 8500 drivers I should know about? [edit] I should mention that I am not using debug mode and turned all the options in the DirectX debug control panel thing. I am linking to libd3dx8d.a since the dev-pak for dev-cpp didn't come with the non-debug version. [edited by - Raloth on August 15, 2003 4:37:21 PM]

Advertisement
What's the problem exactly? What is it that's not working?
Anyway, have you checked the caps before using your feature?

quote:
[edit] I should mention that I am not using debug mode and turned all the options in the DirectX debug control panel thing. I am linking to libd3dx8d.a since the dev-pak for dev-cpp didn't come with the non-debug version.

So you're with the debug version, but not in debug mode? Why's that? Use the debug mode, and watch your debug output (I suppose dev-cpp has some sort of a debugger?)

I have a Radeon8500 right here, so you can send me the code if possible (AND it's < 1 MB).

Peace,
Muhammad Haggag

[edit]Grammar

[edited by - Coder on August 15, 2003 5:44:16 PM]

All I''m doing is attempting to have more than 1 index buffer point to the same vertex buffer. The first one works, but then the others don''t render anything . Dev-Cpp does have a debugger, but I haven''t figured out how to get DirectX output from it. The dev-pak that lets you use DirectX doesn''t come with the retail library so I can''t hook up with that to see if it will fix the problem. Is there a way to convert .lib libraries to .a ones?

Umm... I am sorry to say this but maybe it''s time you upgraded to DirectX 9.0. I KNOW that it has a runtime library.

I am using DirectX 9, and the dev-pak for it also does not come with the retail library.

Ok, I plugged the program into my (not so legal) copy of VC++ so I could link it with the retail libraries and had the same problem, so it''s not a debug thing .

I don''t know what I changed, but now the reference driver is actually CRASHING with certain things. I am just so confused... Why would having multiple index buffers for one vertex buffer cause this much trouble?

quote:
I don''t know what I changed, but now the reference driver is actually CRASHING with certain things. I am just so confused... Why would having multiple index buffers for one vertex buffer cause this much trouble?

What do you mean by "index buffers for one vertex buffer"?
Index buffers are independent of vertex buffers anyway; you can set any index buffer with any vertex buffer, provided that it doesn''t index vertices outside the range of the vertex buffer.

Would you post some code please? (Run your app in windowed mode, and keep stepping into it until the crash happens, and tell us where it did)

Peace,
Muhammad Haggag

• Advertisement