Small Survey about 3D artists in the Game Industry.

Started by
0 comments, last by mattiasseger 20 years, 8 months ago
Dear Sir or Madam! My name is Mattias Seger. I am a student at a vocational college in Sweden (Powerhouse, Kramfors) and I am contacting you in regard to a small survey, which my colleagues and I are making regarding 3D artists’ employment and work. We are contacting game companies in Sweden, Great Britain and the USA, countries which are of interest to us. The result of our survey will be available to students and teachers at Powerhouse, and others interested in 3D-graphics and game development. This is to aid students in their choice of career. If you are/have been employed by a game developer and have knowledge in the Subject you are more than welcome to help us. We really need your help! Participation in our survey is anonomous, no names or names of companies will be mentioned in the survey, unless the participating company so wishes. On request we will send you the results of our survey. There are only 8 questions, of which the first 4 are of greater importance to us. We would appreciate your participation in our survey very much and I look forward to receiving a reply from you preferably at the latest Monday18 August 2003, 09.00 pm. Please reply to the following adress: mattias.seger@lore.se Thank you very much for your time. Yours Sincerely Mattias Seger student at Powerhouse, Sweden, www.powerhouse.net Questionnaire By 3D artists, we mean modellers, texturers and animators Questions of greater importance. 1. Salary What is the approximate average yearly salary for entry level 3D artists at your company? A) less than $20.000/year B) $20.000 – $40.000/year C) $40.000 – $60.000/year D) $60.000 – $80.000/year E) more than $80 000/year REPLY: 2. Priviligies What are the priviligies for 3D artists at your company? A) Bonus plan B) Travelling expenses paid C) Food coupons or equivalent D) Pension plan REPLY: 3. Working hours What is the average working hours per week, for 3D artists at your company? A) less than 40 h/week B) 40-50 h/week C) 50-70 h/week D) more than 70 h/week REPLY: 4. Employment a) How many 3D artist are working at your company? REPLY: b) What does the future look like in regard to employment of 3D artists at you company? A) reduce staff B) unchanged C) increase staff REPLY: NAME: POSITION: COMPANY: E-MAIL: Voluntary questions We would be very grateful for replies to at least some of these questions. 5. How many people is your design group compromised of and what are their duties? REPLY: 6. What kind of education would you like your 3D artists to have? Any specific schools? REPLY: 7. Which specific software would you like your 3D artists to master? REPLY: 8. What other skills would you like your 3D artists to master? REPLY:
Advertisement
B
ABC
B
B

5. Game design, Art design ? Mostly, everyone has something to work on and concepts his own stuff, which has to be approved by someone. Game design heads are about 3, but basically everyone can throw in ideas plus there are brainstorming sessions to see what everyone wants.

6. Talent over education.

7. Doesnt really matter usually but we''re all on Lightwave here. Also they should be able to skin/texture their models if possible (Photoshop or Painter for that)

8. Drawing, needs to have a sense for anatomy and shapes. Has to be able to concept something on paper if asked before modelling it.
http://www.strangefate.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement