• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

extracting a vertex buffer

This topic is 5273 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

having real trouble with getting vertex buffers from meshes. I''m using a LPD3DXMESH and D3DXLoadMeshFromX to load a landscape from a .x file. The file has been converted from a simple landscape in 3ds max. Having loaded the file I can render it with no problems. However, I need to get access to all the data in order to do collision detection so I''ve tried using m_pMesh->GetVertexBuffer( &pVB ); pVB->Lock( 0, 0, (void**)&m_pVertices, 0 ); so I lock the vertex buffer and put it into a vertex array. I''m not getting the correct data in m_pVertices as I don''t think I have the correct FVF and don''t know how to find it out. what I really need is an array of vertices(xyz) in an order I can work with. Is there an easy way to do this? I don''t really want to be locking and unlocking the vertex buffer during run time either... Please help

Advertisement
m_pMesh->GetFVF();

If you''re using x files and D3DXMeshes, you''ll have to lock the VB to get the data. There''s not much choice there.

I like pie.

thanks for the tip,

I''ve used CloneMeshFVF to force the mesh into my FVF format and I seem to have some better data coming from that. There are a lot of mesh functions there to play with

I think I can lock the vertex buffer putting the data in pVertices then unlock the VB and work with pVertices normally.

I''ll get there in the end

• Advertisement