Geomipmapped patches

Started by
5 comments, last by tiutiu 20 years, 8 months ago
Finally i decided to implement geomipmapping to render my terrain. My problem is that i have to make a set of triangles to glue 2 patches with different LOD. I can do it for every side, but when i have to glue left and top edges of patch (for example) i get an odd result in the corner because of triangle sollapation. Here are 2 shots: one showing the bad result when 2 edges have to be glued and the other showing that one side glued works correct [edited by - tiutiu on August 15, 2003 8:25:17 PM]
Advertisement
i made the patch with teh coarser tesselation adapt its geometry, and thus circumventing this problem..
¿We Create World?
"Move" the extra vertices in the other direction, so that you get right-angled tiangles at the edge, with its hipotenuse (sp?) touching the lower-LOD patch. This way, you''ll always have a diagonal edge going from the corner towards the center of your patch, allowing you to avoid that problem.

Michael K.,
Co-designer and Graphics Programmer of "The Keepers"

We come in peace... surrender or die!
Michael K.
U could make the coarser patches more tesselated at the edges, but this will increase the poly count.

A skirt is the best solution.

/*ilici*/
as technobot said.. your linkers should look like this:
__________..... _____
\________/ not |_____|
f@dzhttp://festini.device-zero.de
Don''t collapse vertices at all. Fix the cracks by using skirts. Basically, where two patches of different LOD meet and a crack occurs, render a vertical strip. The strip''s height should follow the patch that is furthest away from you. Here''s an ASCI pic showing the terrain from the side, with a skirt rendered:
patch 1                          <-- Camera---------         |   patch 2         |---------         |         ^       skirt 

This is sooo much faster. To see it in action, try my simple geomipmap demo. It contains the source for the terrain classes as well.

Sander Maréchal
[Lone Wolves Game Development][RoboBlast][Articles][GD Emporium][Webdesign][E-mail]

GSACP: GameDev Society Against Crap Posting
To join: Put these lines in your signature and don''t post crap!

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

I agree, skirts are very simple to understand and use. They are also efficient and look great!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement