• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What version on Visual C++ should I buy.

This topic is 5294 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a video game completed, but before I sell it I need to buy a version of Visual C++ with a full commercial liscense. Will the standard version be sufficient? Also is Visual C++ .net just Visual C++ 7? Did they call it that maybe because its got tools for webbased applications or something? My only goal is to commercially distribute DirectX video games.

Advertisement
as far as i know you can freely download the vcpp.net-compiler at microsoft''s homepage

quote:
Original post by Rob Loach
You should get a free Academic version of it from your teachers.

IIRC he cannot sell software compiled with the academic version.

The standard version *might* be enough, however it has some drawbacks, like the non-opitmizing compiler. If you want to sell your software I would suggest at least Visual Studio .NET 2003 Professional. Check out ebay if you can find a sealed, unregistered (!) version. For example I got VS.NET 2003 developer enterprise for 700 €, compared to the original price of min. 1200 € it was quite cheap.

Attention: be sure to get the 2003 version!

Regards,

VizOne

quote:
Original post by VizOne

Yes, he can, as long as the software isn''t purchased through MSDNAA.

AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.

quote:
Original post by Arild Fines
quote:
Original post by VizOne

Yes, he can, as long as the software isn''t purchased through MSDNAA.

"from his teacher" implied MSDNAA to me. Nevertheless I thought all academic versions were for - well - academic purposes and not for commercial intension.

Regards,
VizOne

nope. check the academic license. the part where it says for academic purposes only means that it is only for use for academic purposes.

about 12 years ago, after you graduated you also had to surrender the software (the don''t keep track of it anymore though)

Guest Anonymous Poster
If the licence for VC.NET Standard is the same as VC 6, you are not allowed to sell software created with it.

quote:
Original post by Dredge-Master
nope. check the academic license. the part where it says for academic purposes only means that it is only for use for academic purposes.

I have. Lots of times. Except for one paragraph, it is identical to the license for Pro.

Just give it up, now - I know what I am talking about.

You are not supposed to sell anything using the standard version. It also displays that annoying message too!!!!

You should buy the one you can afford.

you can sell stuff with standard, you''re thinking of introductory edition. Introductory is the one with the popup. Standard you can sell stuff with it, but you dont have the ability to use the processor pak (only usefull if you need to compile assembly) and the compiler doesnt optimize like enterprise does. Enterprise comes with more code tools too.

standard should be enough for what you''re looking for, if you already have it working in the learning or introductory edition it will work fine in standard.

quote:
Original post by dagamer34
You are not supposed to sell anything using the standard version. It also displays that annoying message too!!!!

That''s the Personal Edition.

[ Start Here ! | How To Ask Smart Questions | Recommended C++ Books | C++ FAQ Lite | Function Ptrs | CppTips Archive ]
[ Header Files | File Format Docs | LNK2001 | C++ STL Doc | STLPort | Free C++ IDE | Boost C++ Lib | MSVC6 Lib Fixes ]

quote:
Original post by 666_1337
as far as i know you can freely download the vcpp.net-compiler at microsoft''s homepage

You are sooooooo leet! Smartpunk =)

.lick

• Advertisement