C#/VB.NET good for games?

Started by
17 comments, last by TheBaker 20 years, 8 months ago
quote:
I''ve decided to try and learn either VB.NET or C#, and I want to know which would be best to learn with Game Development in mind? Cheers 4 your help!

I''d say go with C# just because the syntax is closely related to C/C++ and Java. Not to mention you can do "unsafe" code if you want.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Arild Fines
Besides, I was mostly reacting to the use of "of course".

Sorry,it''s my false . I never heard about MONO before.And at least I never thought that Gates would let his master-piece VS.NET to support Linux that easily.
My english is very poor.Please correct me if There are any mistakes in my post
quote:Microsoft said that, for programming microsoft windows-based game,c# and VB are not much differenct from c++.

Yeah, except for the 25-30% frame rate hit, 15-20% memory hit, and overall weak performance. Granted, for simple games/demos, it doesn''t really matter, and the development time gains are worth the effort, but ultimately you want to stick with C/C++ for fully-fledged games so that they will perform optimally.

C++ supports the ''latest technology''. C# & VB are just easier to develop with. You sacrafice performance in exchange for ease of use.

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

The OP is thinking of learning C# or VB. I don''t think he cares about portability.
quote:Original post by jmg5
The OP is thinking of learning C# or VB. I don''t think he cares about portability.

He never said he DIDN''T care... so it sound''s to me like you''re assuming. And the way you word it sounds like you were reacting to ''the assumption he want''s it to be portable''.

I''d state that just in case he was concerned. Then, he wouldn''t have to ask, or find out the hard way.
quote:Original post by Etnu
Yeah, except for the 25-30% frame rate hit, 15-20% memory hit, and overall weak performance.

Moron.

Quake 2, ported to Managed C++ (keeping all the non-optimal habits in that you get when you port unmanaged C++ code over to Managed C++ and Managed DirectX):

Perforamnce Hit: 15%.

This is nowhere near the "25-30%" your''s truly wants people to believe, and it is for non-optimised code paths treading Managed DirectX as non-managed.
RegardsThomas TomiczekTHONA Consulting Ltd.(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)
One word: NO
I burn cold
quote:Original post by Xsist10
One word: NO

Y.A.B.O. (Yet Another Biased Opinion)

The definitive answer to "Is C#/VB.NET good for game programming?" is "Yes, depending on exactly what you want to do." Most hobby game programmers can be quite satisfied with either language.

[edited by - Machaira on August 18, 2003 12:20:25 PM]

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

If you are an Indie game developer, C# is an excellent language. It will speed up your development process a great deal and is still very fast.

At the Indie Game Developer''s Conference, last Winter, Andy Hook of EA gave a nice little talk wherein he lauded C# and its usefulness for the Indie Developer.

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2002/12/23/indiegames.html

If you''re designing the next Quake, stick with C++.

Co-creator of Star Bandits -- a graphical Science Fiction multiplayer online game, in the style of "Trade Wars'.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement