• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LonelyStar

Cross Platform Compiling Linux->Win32

This topic is 5542 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everybody, I searched the net, I found a lot about Cross-Platform Compiling but nothing really answering my question. I am programming for Windows but I prefer to use Linux. Is it possible to write Win32 Programs containing Dialog Boxes, OpenGL and DirectX under Linux? Is it also possible to Debug and Test those Programs without booting Windows? I apreciate any help! Thanks. Nathan Hüsken

Advertisement
Iirc, WINE is about running Windows apps on Linux - not compiling Windows apps on Linux and running them on Windows.

It seems to me that what you want to do is to use a cross platform library like GTK, wxWindows, QT, SDL etc. to develop your application. Then once you get the code up and running on Linux, you then compile it on Windows. I can''t say for certain though as I''ve never done it myself.

Maybe someone else with more knowledge of the subject will drop in with a better answer...

quote:
Original post by LessBread
Iirc, WINE is about running Windows apps on Linux - not compiling Windows apps on Linux and running them on Windows.

you could always run a windows compiler using wine but there are compilers available to compile windows programs from linux. there was a thread about this a week or two ago which may be useful but i cba to find it.

Try Borland''s Kylix. It supports both C(++) and the Delphi language, and it can transparently handle the differences between Windows and Linux. The Open Edition is free for download and use from www.borland.com/kylix , although programs created with the OE must be published under (L)GPL.

quote:
Original post by Mr Cucumber
I really dont know, but alot of those things you mentioned uses dll files which dont exist in linux.

There''s .so files which is the same idea. Doesn''t matter though, you only compile the code on linux, it still runs on Windows which has the dll available.

I''d suggest wxWindows for xplatform GUI, but that doesn''t help with xcompiling.

Some varaint of mingw is how you do that (need a special build of gcc too).

quote:

Don''t waste your time with linux. Let yourself free!! Go win32!!! lol

M$ supporter. You probably don''t even know what linux is...

-If you see this image I may or may not be online
My website

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!