• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Processor is being hijacked.

This topic is 5305 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone know where I can download a free CPU profiler? There''s something up with my processor (AMD Athlon 2000+). After running a few apps and navigating around the Windows file system for a while, I experience slowdown (specifically when using the windows file system), and the CPU usage level reads around 72%-75%. If I close all the apps and leave the PC idle, the processor usage still stays at this level???!! What the hell could it be doing? At first I thought I was low on memory but after downloading NitroRam, I can see that the problem is proccessor related. I want to know what it is that''s hogging my CPU. After using my computer for a while, it can take up to ten seconds to open a standard folder in windows explorer! This computer is less than 6 months old. Any help would be much appreciated.

Advertisement
I would try scanning for unwanted files such as spyware and viruses. These could be taking a lot of CPU time. For spyware, I use Ad-Aware, and you really should have a virus scanner anyway.

[edited by - Vangelis on August 16, 2003 5:59:16 AM]

If you''re running Windows NT/2000/XP, you can get an overview of running processes and their CPU/ram useage by simply pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL.

Which of course does not apply to virus, spyware & trojans etc... which are designed to be hidden.

You need a virus program, firewall and spybot (all available free have a google for it) to be relatively safe. At the very least you should have a firewall anyway, internet is far to dangerous a place.

I''m using Windows 98 and I have AVG anti-virus software installed. I downloaded and ran ad-aware but it doesn''t make any difference.

What I''d like to know is what process is eating up the CPU time.
Is there any software out there that can perform this function for Windows 98. I know XP/NT/2000 have it in-built.

Last time I tried AVG i found it to be a real resource hog. Try turning it off and see what happens. Actually try shutting off things one by one to see what happens. Maybe it is something you installed latetly.

Tryed shutting down AVG, didn't work.
I have no background applications running, (ie. anti-virus, system monitor apps, etc...) so I should have (almost) zero CPU usage, excluding Windows background processes.

[edited by - Briskon on August 16, 2003 10:18:47 AM]

quote:
Original post by NaliXL
If you're running Windows NT/2000/XP, you can get an overview of running processes and their CPU/ram useage by simply pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL.

...and then select 'Task Manager' or hit CTRL-SHIFT-ESC to go directly to it

Try this Briskon

[edited by - Magmai Kai Holmlor on August 16, 2003 10:22:37 AM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
the one at http://www.iarsn.com/taskinfo.html will give you cpu usage

quote:
Original post by Magmai Kai Holmlor
quote:
Original post by NaliXL
If you''re running Windows NT/2000/XP, you can get an overview of running processes and their CPU/ram useage by simply pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL.

...and then select ''Task Manager'' or hit CTRL-SHIFT-ESC to go directly to it

CAD takes you directly to the Task Manager in XP.

AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.

Thanks Magmai, that''s exactly the type of utility I was looking for.
I''m downloading it now.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Arild Fines
Unless your computer is member of a domain, in which case you need to do as Magmai Kai Holmlor suggested.

quote:
Original post by Briskon
Tryed shutting down AVG, didn''t work.
I have no background applications running, (ie. anti-virus, system monitor apps, etc...) so I should have (almost) zero CPU usage, excluding Windows background processes.

[edited by - Briskon on August 16, 2003 10:18:47 AM]

This is a long shot but have you set things in bios lately?
Did you by mistake turn off the cache for anything?

Try to remember what you did before the computer began to be slow, maybe you did something?

Did you install a game perhaps that corrupted the system?

Basically I am asking you to retrace your steps and try to remember if you did anything yourself for this to happen.

well if u have a lot on your computer check your services and tasks. Click Run... type msconfig, and check out (Mainly) your startup, most are useless but others may be taking up a lot.

If that doesnt help, you may not have enough RAM, dont buy some just press Windows Key+Pause Break, and click Advanced tab, then the performance Setting button, (If its there on 98, im not sure), then click advanced again, and where theres the Virtual memory button labeled Change, click it, type in the 2 text boxes (Init. Size / Maximum Size), around 10% of your HDD''s total space, so if you have a 20Gig put in 1500 & 2000 for your values and click set. Restart your com and it will run fine hopefully.

If other things are slowing down like menu''s and such, and browsing files, firs go into explorer then click the folder options in the menu, and select the View tab, uncheck the Automatically search for ...., it should be at the top.

For the menu''s right click the start bar in a blank area and go inot properties, go into the advanced menu options groupbox and uncheck Use Personalized menus, at the very bottom.

If its still slow email me at malpass_2k3@hotmail.com and i''ll tell u a whole more of my tweaks

quote:
Original post by MichaelT
Which of course does not apply to virus, spyware & trojans etc... which are designed to be hidden.

in winNT systems you cannot hide any process.

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com

Guest Anonymous Poster
Well nothing really... I don''t mind some offtopicness every now and then, and the others who have replied don''t seem to mind either.

Not to put a downer on things....

....I experienced something very similar to this a while back. Might not be the same thig though, but my HD was on it''s way to the knackers yard. The extreme slowdown and cpu usage was somehow caused by the HD returning weird info because of errors. Eventually my HD just gave up and died.

Hopefully that isn''t your problem though.

quote:
Original post by davepermen
quote:

This is rather off-topic, but you can do such a thing; you need a kernel-mode "virus", more frequently referred to as "root-kits" in the *nix world.

[edited by - Magmai Kai Holmlor on August 16, 2003 12:08:28 AM]

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Arild Fines
Unless your computer is member of a domain, in which case you need to do as Magmai Kai Holmlor suggested.

My computer's not part of a domain... it could be a difference between the home & pro versions. Or maybe whether you choose the iconic login (part of the new telley-tubby mode) or the classic username & password (which you must do for a domain login).

[edited by - Magmai Kai Holmlor on August 16, 2003 12:11:49 AM]

Did you Try Defragging it? you should do so almost ever other week or ever week. within a few days or just few hours you could fragment your pc and need to defrag. Seeing that tis was not mention eariler, I assume most of cha don''t defrag much.

Defragging will increase speed, but theres no need to do it every week, the displacement of the byte types on the HDD is too small to have a recognised effect for at least 3-4 weeks, and thats if you use your computer a LOT.

Slow browsing may be the network, like I say just check your Folder Options and check Automatically search for networks and printers is unchecked. Other than that, it may just be so clogged up with internet junk and proggys that it just needs a good format, I format mine like every few months just to keep it running smoothly .

quote:
Original post by davepermen
quote:

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com

Oh yes you can.

• Advertisement