• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Briskon

Processor is being hijacked.

This topic is 5567 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone know where I can download a free CPU profiler? There''s something up with my processor (AMD Athlon 2000+). After running a few apps and navigating around the Windows file system for a while, I experience slowdown (specifically when using the windows file system), and the CPU usage level reads around 72%-75%. If I close all the apps and leave the PC idle, the processor usage still stays at this level???!! What the hell could it be doing? At first I thought I was low on memory but after downloading NitroRam, I can see that the problem is proccessor related. I want to know what it is that''s hogging my CPU. After using my computer for a while, it can take up to ten seconds to open a standard folder in windows explorer! This computer is less than 6 months old. Any help would be much appreciated.

Advertisement
I would try scanning for unwanted files such as spyware and viruses. These could be taking a lot of CPU time. For spyware, I use Ad-Aware, and you really should have a virus scanner anyway.

[edited by - Vangelis on August 16, 2003 5:59:16 AM]

If you''re running Windows NT/2000/XP, you can get an overview of running processes and their CPU/ram useage by simply pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL.

Which of course does not apply to virus, spyware & trojans etc... which are designed to be hidden.

You need a virus program, firewall and spybot (all available free have a google for it) to be relatively safe. At the very least you should have a firewall anyway, internet is far to dangerous a place.

I''m using Windows 98 and I have AVG anti-virus software installed. I downloaded and ran ad-aware but it doesn''t make any difference.

What I''d like to know is what process is eating up the CPU time.
Is there any software out there that can perform this function for Windows 98. I know XP/NT/2000 have it in-built.

Last time I tried AVG i found it to be a real resource hog. Try turning it off and see what happens. Actually try shutting off things one by one to see what happens. Maybe it is something you installed latetly.

Tryed shutting down AVG, didn't work.
I have no background applications running, (ie. anti-virus, system monitor apps, etc...) so I should have (almost) zero CPU usage, excluding Windows background processes.

[edited by - Briskon on August 16, 2003 10:18:47 AM]

quote:
Original post by NaliXL
If you're running Windows NT/2000/XP, you can get an overview of running processes and their CPU/ram useage by simply pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL.

...and then select 'Task Manager' or hit CTRL-SHIFT-ESC to go directly to it

Try this Briskon

[edited by - Magmai Kai Holmlor on August 16, 2003 10:22:37 AM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
the one at http://www.iarsn.com/taskinfo.html will give you cpu usage

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!