• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cman

what happens first?

This topic is 5470 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! If you specify turning and moving in one update cycle, then which happends first? Moving or turning? My bot turns, then it start going to the new dir, or its goes to the last dir, then turns? thanks [edited by - cman on August 16, 2003 6:30:26 AM]

Advertisement
i think its first move then rotate (my mapping works this way and it looks ok)

T2k

from what I can tell, its the same as what T2K said.

but I also send my data to gdarena in that order, so MAYBE it just does it in whatever order we tell it to do it.

They happen "simultaneously"... I guess it would be like turning and then moving. It's not like a 3D graphics API where translation/rotation is order-dependent..

Khawk: It has to be dependant... you either update the angle first, then move along that angle, or move along the original angle, then update the angle. It''s impossible to do both at the same time, and doing it one way or the other DOES change the final destination point if they both turned, and moved/strafed.

I haven''t done this my self, but couldn''t it be done by modifying his own matrix at the end of the update() functions to apply both movement and rotation at the same time when it is loaded into the Modelview Matrix? Just a guess, I''ve never done that my self, but seems like it could be done that way simaltaniously. Could (and probably am) wrong though.

-J

quote:
Original post by Ready4Dis
Khawk: It has to be dependant... you either update the angle first, then move along that angle, or move along the original angle, then update the angle. It''s impossible to do both at the same time, and doing it one way or the other DOES change the final destination point if they both turned, and moved/strafed.

Um, not really..

I don''t even understand _how_ this question can come up. Your bot rotates about its vertical axis, and not about some imaginary translated axis.

quote:
Original post by Jason2Jason
I haven''t done this my self, but couldn''t it be done by modifying his own matrix at the end of the update() functions to apply both movement and rotation at the same time when it is loaded into the Modelview Matrix? Just a guess, I''ve never done that my self, but seems like it could be done that way simaltaniously. Could (and probably am) wrong though.

-J

I think the view of movement is just wrong.. it''s a simple:

x += x*sin(theta);

or something like that. It''s not exceptionally complicated.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!