• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Al

Accessing a 16-bit DD surface & new + delete problems

This topic is 6664 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay here is my problem: I currently have a Bitmap loading class (8-bit / palette indexed) that I load into a allocated memory buffer, now when I try to blit this Bitmap onto the backbuffer and flip, it causes problems with colours in 16-bit mode. Now I have changed my code to write to 32-bit surfaces, and the colours look fine. How can I change 3 8-bit values into a single 16-bit value? i.e.: #define RGB16(r,g,b) ((r << 10) / (g << 5) / (b)) please help as I don''t particularly want to waste the video memory by not making good and worthwhile usage of the extra 16-bits provided. Also recently I have used the new / delete keywords in C++, however if I do this: char *blah = "Xpasdf" char *blah2 = "xadsa" char *Blahs = new char [strlen(blah) + strlen(blah2)] strcpy(Blahs, blah); strcat(Blahs, blah2); // Debug Error occurs when deallocating delete [] Blahs; This has been irritating me also, however I suspect that it is due to the usage of the strcat command which adds a null character to the end of the strings.. resulting in a debug error being called due to improper deallocation of memory. -Big Al "Damn do I love ''Blah''s"

Advertisement
About your 24 (or 32) to 16 bit problem: it depends on your surface properties and the pixel format. Normally a 16 bit is stored as 5/6/5 (5 red, 6 green and 5 blue bits). So a conversion macro might look like this:

#define RGB16(r,g,b) (((r) << 11) + (((g) & 0x31F) << 5) + ((b) & 0x1F))

(Haven''t tested this so there might be a bug in it )

As for your other problem, try this:

char *blah = "Xpasdf";
char *blah2 = "xadsa";
// Allocate one extra byte for the null terminator

char *Blahs = new char [strlen(blah) + strlen(blah2) + 1];

strcpy(Blahs, blah);
// This appends the string blah2 to Blahs,
// instead of overwriting it

strcpy(&Blahs[strlen(blah)], blah2);
// No more errors should occur here...

delete [] Blahs;

Dormeur

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!