• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SoaringTortoise

Light-Table ?

This topic is 5474 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I remember using a light-table tool in Deluxe Paint IV way back on the Commodore Amiga. It was a pretty useful tool because it allowed you to show one picture semi-transparent while painting on another. Ideal for tracing, etc. Anyhow, I have Microsoft Image Composer and Paint Shop Pro, and neither have the same tool. I can sort of get the right effect going using layers in PSP, but it''s damned picky and takes a long time to set up. Is there another program I should get (other than Photoshop... please), or is there a better way to emulate the light table in either MIC or PSP?

Advertisement
The problem with the layers is that it doesn''t quite work out the same way. The light table works differently from simple transparency, it actually shows the picture THROUGH the layer on top. In PSP if you use a layer, then the top layer needs to be semi-transparent to show the bottom layer through. But with painting bump-maps/height maps you need to be pixel perfect and once you''ve finished tracing onto the semi-transparent layer it''s almost impossible to adjust the transparency/color to the exact way you want it.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!