• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

-vic-

Gnome, getting better and better

This topic is 5541 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Gnome 2.4 is about to be realeased (!!), so some guy made a review of the changes in the new version: http://www.ilug-cal.org/GNOME_2_4.html Victor.

Advertisement
Well, it looks like some much needed improvements are finally here. To be honest, I''m still torn between whether I like KDE or GNOME better, but I solve it by usually using Fluxbox

The Artist Formerly Known as CmndrM

http://chaos.webhop.org

Hahaha!

That''s exactly why I''ve mostly stayed away from Debian. I love the concept of it, plus apt-get is great, but the fact that the "stable" (and even "testing") release is always far out of date just turns me off. That''s one nice thing about Gentoo: You get the ease of apt-get, but you also get updated packages. It''s great if you don''t mind compiling everything (which only really seems to help a great deal if you have a P4 and use the Intel compiler anyway...)

YES! SYNTAX HIGHLIGHTING IN GEDIT!!!

OMG! Look at the calculator! SCIENTIFIC MODE! YEAH BABY YEAH!!!

Still, it doesn''t look like Nautilus had enough work done on it. IMHO Nautilus is the weakest part of Gnome. It seems kinda unstable, especially when using it on files over a network (like FTP). I frequently have to kill Nautilus after browsing my FTP server for a little bit and restart it, otherwise it gets completely confused and says it can''t find the FTP server, or it thinks it''s in one folder when it''s really in another folder and therefore can''t find anything you click on.

But hey, I''m still pumped!

quote:
Original post by BradDaBug
It seems kinda unstable, especially when using it on files over a network (like FTP). I frequently have to kill Nautilus after browsing my FTP server for a little bit and restart it, otherwise it gets completely confused and says it can''t find the FTP server, or it thinks it''s in one folder when it''s really in another folder and therefore can''t find anything you click on.

That''s a problem with the filesystem backend. With the exception of HTTP, many of the non-kernel-native virtual file systems need some work (some Ximian developers fixed at least the SAMBA backend in new GnomeVFS versions, I''ve read).

quote:
Original post by neurokaotix
omfg new and imporved noetpad!!~1` XD

You''ve never used Gedit, have you?

(BTW: Can''t wait for Gnome 2.4; GTK+ 2.4 too, which is to follow by about two months.)

Yeah, I actually meant to comment on Gedit now having syntax highlighting, but I forgot. I remember once, way back when, and the GNOME project page said something along the lines of "Gedit may never have syntax highlighting" because of how it was originally coded.

I''m glad they''ve eaten those words, because syntax highlighting is a good thing. Mostly because it makes my text look pretty. But also because it does help you catch stupid mistakes like mispelling return or int or something.

quote:
Original post by Strife
Hahaha!

That''s exactly why I''ve mostly stayed away from Debian. I love the concept of it, plus apt-get is great, but the fact that the "stable" (and even "testing") release is always far out of date just turns me off. That''s one nice thing about Gentoo: You get the ease of apt-get, but you also get updated packages. It''s great if you don''t mind compiling everything (which only really seems to help a great deal if you have a P4 and use the Intel compiler anyway...)

Just use "unstable" and you get all the bleeding edge stuff. Plus, i think "testing" isn''t that outdated.

quote:
Original post by C-Junkie
At this rate, when debian sarge is released in 2118, I''ll be upgrading from gnome 1.4 to gnome 8.22.

Perhaps you should join the devel team, so we would have bigger releases more often?

Victor.

Riiight, "join the devel team". You know. That one that takes five years to get into. The one that ends up not helping release any faster because

1, if you dont maintain your own package, you''re garbage.
2, if you try to fix "somebody else''s package", you''re garbage.
3, did i mention the 5 year waiting process before you can do anything useful without having to go "hey you''re a real DD, can you do... oh. HEy!~ you''re a real DD, could you.. oh. HEy, DD! Can you... arg."
4, have to deal with people who are all "well your jsut not commited enough to be a dd if you cant take that"

Thanks, but no thanks. Projects that beat off people who want to help with big clubs can stay undeveloped by me, thank you very much.

And its not like there is a huge risk from people who want to develop. if they fuck up something, drop their changes from cvs. WOW, THEY SURE NEED TO HAVE A FIVE YEAR WAITING PROCESS TO SAVE THEM FROM THE PAIN OF HAVING TO REVERT CHANGES!

No to being a dd. being a debian user isnt so bad. but damned if i''m going to help out those people until they have some serious attitude readjustment.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!