• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Syrillix

Does anyone else worry about the industry?

This topic is 5533 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Sometimes i wonder whats in store for game development. As good as things look, i think theres still alot to worry about.. At any given time there are perhaps less than a handful of half-decent games and a couple times a year were treated to a really fantastic one... with so many games released each year now, that turns out to be alot of mediocre games. I havent had real fun playing a game since halo, sorry make that WC3. Im waiting on my copy on KOTOR. But all i see when i go to the store now is tactical shooters and WW2 sims.. Just as everyone was sick of Sci-fi and unrealistic games a few years, I too am starting to get sick of realism games. So we have a lot of copy-cat titles and alot of mediocre ones. Correlation? Possibly. Companies like EA, Activision, Interplay and friends have the money and power to pick and choose which games get published and those that dont. Anything that seems like a risk doesnt get published, simple. This prompts the question. Are they stunting the growth of the industry? Depends on your point of view I guess. From a business perpestive, no. There simply following the basic rule of supply and demand. Everyone in this business wants to make money, right? From an artistic side of things, yes. Theres almost no room for expression. You simply cant expect that many companies that will fund a game thats outthere. so we end up with more of the same, and customers slowly become dissatisfied. Oddly enough, thats bad for the business perspective too. Now we have 2 sides to the same problem that must come together in order to solve that problem. I dont see this happening any time soon. I do see a couple of developers out there who are trying to correct this problem and allow developers to strike out on new ground. But in the end, the big companies need to gather a little more vision and try to see beyond the Dollar sign. PS. im not asking to start a flame, just posting some random thoughts that i had. if you want to flame me, email me.

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by Syrillix
PS. im not asking to start a flame, just posting some random thoughts that i had. if you want to flame me, email me.

You are just inviting some flames aren''t you?

To your question: I don''t think there are stuning the industry because look at games today and three years ago. I''m talking about graphics as this is the part that really gets better, and the part I''m most interested in .

"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"

What stunts the growth of the industry is bigger companies buying out smaller ones, and then not doing anything with the assets gained.

Who knows what that little company could have done had it not been bought out by a company looking for a new name to market their crap with hehe.

quote:
Original post by Maega
What stunts the growth of the industry is bigger companies buying out smaller ones, and then not doing anything with the assets gained.

Who knows what that little company could have done had it not been bought out by a company looking for a new name to market their crap with hehe.

So very true.
C&C used to rock back in the days of the classic and also red alert. However after EA bought over Westwood, Tiberian Sun, RedAlert2 have been huge disappointments as compared to the earlier C&C games.

While i havent played any Ultima games, i heard they were the greatest games of their time, i did play UO however. It might have been the first MMORPG with the most dated gfx, but it's complexity, world, numerous skills, trades, player run shops, and many other features are still only exclusive to this game. Most MMORPGs are concerned only with making characters, killing monsters, buy stuff cycles which i think is called Level treadmill or something. It kind of gets boring after awhile. But in UO, you didnt have to fight if you didnt want to, it had a very strong sense of roleplaying, you could live your life as a lumberjack, fisherman and sell your stuff to other players either directly or through your own shops. PK's lurked in the wilderness, so you could perhaps pay a mage to cast a portal to the place you wished to go or hire another player to protect you on your journey. The world was never stale. We were all waiting for UO2 to appear which featured 3d gfx, and a completely new engine. However EA bought over Origin and canned the production of the game even though it was 60% complete simply because the first UO was making alot of money with 200, 000 subscribers. Also it was cheaper to make expansions than to make a whole new game and market it, publish it.

Money makes the world go round.

[edited by - GamerSg on August 17, 2003 2:50:10 AM]

I don''t believe that statement is true. There have been many unique, fun games introduced into the system, like Neverwinter Nights, Unreal Tournament 2003, C&C: Generals, BF1942 etc.

GamerSg, i totally agree with you. The industry suxx! And marketing people are to blame!

another example: Dune2 - Dune2000.

I say everything should be sold on the net (at a decent price 40$ for a game is too much), so we shouldnt worry about marketing.

Scratchware rules! if u wanna read more on this goto:

The ScratchWare Manifesto (this site rules)

"The machinery of gaming has run amok.

Instead of serving creative vision, it suppresses it. Instead of encouraging innovation, it represses it. Instead of taking its cue from our most imaginative minds, it takes its cue from the latest month's PC Data list. Instead of rewarding those who succeed, it penalizes them with development budgets so high and royalties so low that there can be no reward for creators. Instead of ascribing credit to those who deserve it, it seeks to associate success with the corporate machine. "

"Death to the gaming industry! Long live games."

[edited by - Ilici on August 17, 2003 5:07:48 AM]

[edited by - Ilici on August 17, 2003 5:10:32 AM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
Well, I work as a programmer in the games industry, and in a couple of weeks, I am finally getting out of it! Why?
For the reasons pointed out above. Yes there are god games, Halo, HL2, GTA etc... but they are the excpetions. The games industry is, on the whole, run by publishers, who (it seems like it anyway) are doing their damdest to make it the stalest entertainemt market ever to have existed. They dont want good games, they want big sellers at the smallest cost, and every one knows, you cant make a good game in less than a year, which is what a lot of the dev co''s are being asked to do now.
Hopefully, one day, it will mature, to the point where Indie games co''s can get out good games, as they envisioned them from the start, but thats a long long way off.

Oh well, thats my two cents

I to work in the games Inds as a programmer, and I have to say, I do agree with AP''s pov.
Just hope it doesnt take as long as they think it will do

I feel your pain. I''ve been left a bit sour by cool companies being bought out and discarded or the really good game companies falling flat.

For starters, Bullfrog. Bullfrog created the God-sim genre of games. And I mean, how awesome was Syndicate, especially the graphics (only 16 colours!). Now, however, it appears that Bullfrog, having been swallowed by the behemoth that is EA, are resigned to making nothing but sequels.

No doubt this will hit a nerve with most people, but here it is: Looking Glass. System Shock. Thief. And these are the people that went bankrupt? Why are companies like this the ones that fail, whilst the monstrous entities that regularly belch forth mission packs and sequels and crappy sports games remain? What is wrong with this industry?

BTW, I completely agree about Westwood too. Haven''t played Generals yet, but... since maybe RA 1, it turned to crap.

quote:
Looking Glass. System Shock. Thief. And these are the people that went bankrupt? Why are companies like this the ones that fail, whilst the monstrous entities that regularly belch forth mission packs and sequels and crappy sports games remain? What is wrong with this industry?

As easy as it is to say that companies and publishers are to blame, a heft portion of the blame falls on the consumers. Publishers are only taking advantage of the fact that a significant amount of games purchasing people are dumb enough to buy games based on brand rather than gameplay.

It''s like the games industry is turning into the fashion industry. Back when gaming was for nerds and social outcasts only, innovative games HAD to be made to keep the majority of market stimulated. Now where your average joe on the street plays games, the market is saturated by people that think it''s ok to pay $45 for a game that is just another uninspired sequel.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!