help tha noob (windows programming)

Started by
8 comments, last by Ademan 20 years, 8 months ago
ok...im a decent console programmer in c++...but to do anything thats really worthwhile...i gotta work in windows and from there use directx...but anyways... all of the windows class and hinstance and all of that crap...makes no sense to me...well...i know wut to do...but i dont get the reasoning....kand as far as the windows class definiteion stuff goes...dont even understand wut im doing...besides doign exactly wut the tut told me to...
I''m American and damn proud of it.
Advertisement
wut''s yourt point o.o
lol...i guess i was hopin someone would help explain wut all of the stuff means...especially the wondows classes...but also the parameters for WinMain
I''m American and damn proud of it.
get charles petzolds Programming Windows fifth edition
----Me: So do you know any computer languages?Friend: Ummm....yeah, I used to know l337 talk.Me: ok....
Well there are 2 ways to actually start in Windows programming.

- First option is if you are using Visual C++ you can use the MFC (Microsoft Foundation Class Libaries) and almost programming in a Visual Basic style fashion - drag/drop, add events, etc.

- Second option, go check out NeHe Tutorials(Http://nehe.gamedev.net), he has some great tutorials about how to create a window and so on, but it is all related to OpenGL. Otherwise take a look at Http://www.gametutorials.com or Http://www.ultimategameprogramming.com

Hope that helps you a bit

Extracting Patch....
Initializing Windows XP Update Path 2543663B....
Core Dumped, Now Installing Linux.....

----
Mike
Team AI: Http://members.iinet.net.au/~slyons/teamai
http://www.winprog.org/
quote:Original post by shakazed

Agree! I used them. They''re good. Go there!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"Ask not what humanity can do for you, ask what you can do for humanity." - By: Richard D. Colbert Jr.
quote:Original post by TheOne1
get charles petzolds Programming Windows fifth edition
I highly recommend this, as well. Even if you plan on using MFC at some point, you should have a decent background in the Win32 API first. You won''t regret it.

Jason Doucette
Programming Windows, 5th Edition by Charles Petzold, Errata Addendum
projects / games | real-time graphics | artificial intelligence | world records | wallpapers / desktops / backgrounds
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." - Anna Eleanor Roosevelt, 1884-1962
Jason Doucette / Xona.comDuality: ZF — Xbox 360 classic arcade shmup featuring Dual Play
I found the Genesis series here on GameDev informative and well written. Covers Win32, and GDI in part 3.

Genesis series Part 1 on Win32 -- printable version

Once you get your WinMain and WinProc down, its just copy/paste for all your games. You don't have to understand all of it, but it helps. Petzold's book is probably overkill at 1,500+ pages, but if you really want to understand Win32, that is the book.

Here is your basic Win32 Game Loop from Lamothe

GameLoop1.cpp EXE

That's 640 x 480 windowed, for full screen you add a DEVMODE struct, call ChangeDisplaySettings and use WS_POPUP instead of WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW

GameFullScreen.cpp EXE

In DirectX you do your full screen differently I believe, but I'm not at that level yet. In OpenGL you use the above, with additional OpenGL calls for your graphics. But know C/C++ well first.

Phil P

[edited by - PhilVaz on August 17, 2003 8:10:44 PM]
quote:Original post by Android_s
quote:Original post by shakazed

Agree! I used them. They''re good. Go there!

lol I used this site too great stuff when I was first learning

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement