• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Briskon

Texture Space conceps?

This topic is 5542 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm having a problem getting my head around the idea of texture space and it's really getting to me..... 1. First, for bumpmapping, I presume when you transform a light into texture space, you are actually transforming the light direction not the position, so that the light has the same angle for all polygons/faces? 2. When you transform a light vector into texture space does that mean the texture is centred around the origin of this co-ordinate system? 3. I.e For example when you transform a light from world space to object space it's easy to visualise it as keeping the object in it's original position and putting the light relative to where it would be if the object had been transformed by the world transform (tying myself in knots here). Is there an easy way to visualize the light's vector when transformed into texture space? Hope these questions make sense, it's hard to put some of this stuff into words. Thanks. [edited by - Briskon on August 17, 2003 11:42:30 AM]

Advertisement
Mathematics of Per-Pixel Lighting :

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/mathematicsofperpixellighting.html

This explains a bit of how texture space works. Should give you some ideas. It doesn''t go into bumpmapping but just explains the math behind texture space.

You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.

Downloaded that PDF file, unfortunately Acrobat Reader says there's an error (107) and it won't open the file.........

Can any else answer my questions?

(Two more!!)
4. In general from what I've read there are two main ways to perform bumpmapping: a). using normal maps and b). using heightmaps.
Which is considered the better method?
Which is considered the easier method?(My money's on height based)

5. Are there any editors available for creating height based bumpmaps or does it have to be done manually?

[edited by - Briskon on August 17, 2003 3:19:37 PM]

[edited by - Briskon on August 17, 2003 3:22:38 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!