Gathering Info

Started by
1 comment, last by syrmakleftis 20 years, 8 months ago
Howdy, I figured this might be the right forum to get some information on how maps work in this kind of game (2d). To be more specific about what im asking, i just would like someone to explain the basics on how it works, or if you want to, you could point me towards a document or two about making a map system. or if you prfer i could go ask in the newbie hole, since im new at this. thanks ahead, syrm
syrm
Advertisement
You''re question is rather open ended/vauge. Try starting here, then if you have specific questions, feel free to ask.
SysOp_1101
I''m going to assume you''re talking about the actual structure of the maps, not the visual elements (like diamond shaped tiles etc).

Here''s a couple of different ways to store the info about map tiles. A sequential class array (eg: map[50]) or a 2d array (eg: map[50][50]).

Sequential arrays are fun because you need to work out what element to grab out based on tile = (mapwidth * y) + x.

I prefer 2d arrays. You know which tile to grab because you know the x & y of each tile.

Start off by having a tile class, give it the properties you want, then array it. In your initialisation set the x & y properties of the maptiles, then in your map routine (whether you load or create a map) set the terrain type property to the correct value (eg: 0 = sea, 1 = grass, 2 = rocks, etc). If you want other layers (eg: objects to pickup or characters) just add more properties to the class: int object; int unit;

EG:class MAPTILE{public:     int xLoc;     int yLoc;     int TerrainType;  // Store what land type: sea, grass, rock, etc};// GlobalsMAPTILE Map[100][100];  // Creates a map class array of 100 * 100// Somewhere in your initialisation.....for(int y = 0; y < 100; y++){     for(int x = 0; x < 100; x++)     {          Map[x][y].xLoc = x;  // Set x location          Map[x][y].yLoc = y;  // Set y location          Map[x][y].TerrainType = 0;  // Set all terrain to sea     }} 

-----------------------------Empires! Visit online at http://www.daleszone.comProgramming for a funner world.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement