Jump to content
  • Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

khawk

Defect Reports v0.03

This topic is 5598 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

Advertisement
Update cycle time.

what has it been reduced to? A new project with a single call to "GetJoyPosEX" (or whatever it is) fails as it takes to long.

is it now a tenth of a frame? it seems extremely short now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:
Original post by Dredge-Master
another query - how much more processing time does gdarena take? it seems like it is roughly taking twice as much cpu usage as gdarena 0.2 did.


If 0.03 is taking anymore processing time than 0.02, then it''s very minimal. I think it''s related more to the little update I just put in the zip. Make sure you download 0.03 again (I''m not going to announce it).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tried it. my machine is obviously to slow for v0.03 now. (1ghz athlon, geforce 2mx)

I'll try again at v0.04 or the final release, whichever is first.

[edited by - Dredge-Master on August 17, 2003 12:51:05 AM]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I have one other idea that may have affected performance, but it's my last idea. Try downloading it once more (I have updated the zip again).

If that doesn't work, try downloading GDArena v0.02 again just to verify that it is in fact something new with v0.03.

***edit***
I updated the zip once more.. at 1:00am EST.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I used the new botgen to generate "SampleBot2", built a debug DLL, and changed the ini to be:

SampleBot2
SampleBot2
debug

Everything works as expected unless I try to run with the debugger attached (i.e. hitting F5 in VC6). When I do that, I get "SampleBot2's Update() cycle took too long" as soon as I start the match.

PS:

If I change the ini to be "release" instead of "debug", then run with F5, the whole simulation just seems to stop as soon as the match starts. The "Draw-nobody wins" text is still up, but the bot's names are updated. It seems to be doing the same thing that it does in the debug version, but without the little dialog box telling me the bot took too long.



[edited by - Martel on August 18, 2003 3:26:35 AM]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:
Original post by Martel
I used the new botgen to generate "SampleBot2", built a debug DLL, and changed the ini to be:

SampleBot2
SampleBot2
debug

Everything works as expected unless I try to run with the debugger attached (i.e. hitting F5 in VC6). When I do that, I get "SampleBot2''s Update() cycle took too long" as soon as I start the match.

PS:

If I change the ini to be "release" instead of "debug", then run with F5, the whole simulation just seems to stop as soon as the match starts. The "Draw-nobody wins" text is still up, but the bot''s names are updated. It seems to be doing the same thing that it does in the debug version, but without the little dialog box telling me the bot took too long.



[edited by - Martel on August 18, 2003 3:26:35 AM]


Well, that''s more than I get... when I tried debugging like that with v0.2, it crashed on entry, and/or complained that the .exe had no debugging info available (gdarena.exe). This is/was with msvc 6.0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Advertisement
×

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!