Lesson 13 ( fonts ) question

Started by
2 comments, last by Blizz 23 years, 10 months ago
I have a question about this procedure: GLvoid glPrint(const char *fmt, ...) // Custom GL "Print" Routine { char text[256]; // Holds Our String va_list ap; // Pointer To List Of Arguments if (fmt == NULL) // If There''s No Text return; // Do Nothing va_start(ap, fmt); // Parses The String For Variables vsprintf(text, fmt, ap); // And Converts Symbols To Actual Numbers va_end(ap); // Results Are Stored In Text glPushAttrib(GL_LIST_BIT); // Pushes The Display List Bits glListBase(base - 32); // Sets The Base Character to 32 glCallLists(strlen(text), GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, text); // Draws The Display List Text glPopAttrib(); // Pops The Display List Bits } where do va_list , va_start, va_end come from???
Advertisement
Well can't tell you if they did something special and non-standard in OpenGL or DirectX with va_list but this is what va_list is all about in standard C/C++.

va_list is used to declare a local state variable which is used to traverse parameters.

So, what does that mean. Well, for example if I have a function that could take in x number of variables like say printf. With printf we use it like

printf("hello %s, how are you on this fine $s morn?\n", name,        month);/* See, the number of variable is not really limited. So, the prototype of the function would look something like : */int printf(char *strin, ...);   /* And the definition would look like : */int printf(char * strin, ...){    va_list ap;    va_start(ap, strin);                    

So, finally, to step through the argument list we use the va_arg macro. This is not the best description of va_lists that I have given cause I am not a writer. Best thing you can do is take a look at any GOOD C/C++ book for va_list or va_args.

Edited by - Neuro on June 27, 2000 8:14:00 AM
-----------------------------------------------All messages are of my own personal opinion and not meant to offend. But if they do - tough :)Neuro.
By the way, va_start sets the internal pointer in ap to point to the first argument passed into the function and its from this point that va_arg steps to the next.

va_end does some clear-up (housekeeping) when you reach the end of the arg list with va_arg steps.
-----------------------------------------------All messages are of my own personal opinion and not meant to offend. But if they do - tough :)Neuro.
Thanks Neuro!

You helped me out!

Blizz

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement