• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Feral

Fixed!:HelpRequest(FBSD;KDE): Root has a desktop; normal name does not..

This topic is 5598 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there, I've this low priority problem that is perplexing me You see, root's kde would seem to work properly.. Has desktop background, desktop menu, mouse clicks get menus, etc. However, my lill-ol normal name doth not have any of that. It is just a (solid) grey background (fwiw: my colorscheme is "Dark Blue") ... Aformentioned grey background does not accpet clicks, no menus, no desktop menu, no picture.. no bloody nothing. Rather odd. ... it is a solid grey too, not the normal has for vanilla X ... I'll post a screenshot if anyone would like... (want to play with ftp anyway ) I don't suppose anyone has any ideas? I've googled with nill results.
quote:
Interesting information: bash-2.05b$ uname -a FreeBSD a900 5.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE #0: Thu Jan 16 22:16:53 GMT 2003 root@hollin.btc.adaptec.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386 KDE Version: 3.0.5 User: feral
Thank you much and kindly (even if you've no ideas ) Feral, the confused. [edited by - FeralofFireTop on August 18, 2003 3:15:48 PM]

Advertisement
You didn''t read that Handbook link I sent you, did you? =) Tsk Tsk.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11-wm.html

Essentially, your startup scipt isn''t running Gnome or KDE. You simply need to edit your .xinitrc file to run /usr/X11R6/bin/gnome-session for Gnome, I believe its startkde for KDE.

Interim.

That handbook is big!

I am pretty sure I'm running kde tho FWIW gnome has nautlaus on the desktop and seems to work as designed. KDE works fine.. for root.

quote:
My current .xinitcr
## WindowMaker
#xterm &
#[ ! -d $HOME/GNUstep/Library/WindowMaker ] && /usr/X11R6/bin/wmaker.inst
#exec /usr/X11R6/bin/wmaker

## Gnome2
#gnome-session

# KDE 3
startkde

#EOF

Image on left is the problem one; image on right is what I expect(root's).

Wierd, isn't it?

What it should be(root)

On the left one note that gkrellm has a bit of blue on the edges where it should be transpaent; as if the fake transparency is working or something. *boggle*

Both are clickable for larger image.

Thank you!

*edit: forgot to mak'em clickable! *

[edited by - FeralofFireTop on August 18, 2003 11:59:28 AM]

Weird. Was everything working fine until you did something that could have messed things up? Try creating a new user and seeing whether it works.

Reread your post.

That is very odd. I don't use KDE too much (rarely use Gnome actually *grin*) so I'm not sure. Definitely a bug =)

It might a known one. Try starting Gnome instead, see if have the same issue there.

Also, check what package you have for KDE. 'pkg_info | grep -i "kde"'. Maybe need to check for a new package before spending too much time trying random stuff. If I remember, you were on 5.0 right?

On ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-5.0-release/kde/

I found the following package:

kde-3.0.5.tbz

See if that's newer than the version you have, indicated there was probably an update.

Might also check libs:

kdelibs-3.0.5_1.tbz

I'm not over-knowledgeable about the UIs, since I have a Powerbook. *grin*

Remember both 5.0 and 5.1 are current, not release, so they're bound to have bugs. You might want to try to upgrade your install, or maybe download the 5.1 release which will have most of the fixes from 5.0 (still some bugs of course, but better along). 615 MB download though.

Int.

[edited by - Interim on August 18, 2003 12:56:54 PM]

kde was like that when I made this user (from sysinstall) ... I''ll give a new user name a shot, for good measure.

No context menu, from any mouse button.

Bah, new user name works.
Must be a config thing somewhere; Heh, checked that once obviously not well enough I see

Got it on the run now! (I hope )

Check the group members of the user ''id "username"''. Then take a look at the xinitrc files and their environments path.

Interesting bug =)

Int.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!