Accum buffer tutorial

Started by
3 comments, last by Intamin AG 20 years, 8 months ago
Hey there!! I have mailed NeHe several times asking if I may write an Accumulation Buffer tutorial demonstrating FSAA, motion blur etc. but he doesnt reply. Any ideas or do ya think an accum buf tut would be useless??
The world isn't unpredictable. It's CHAOTIC.
Advertisement
even while newest hw (radeon9500 and bether) do have the accumulation buffer in hw, it is still a simple bruteforce method. while it works, its rather slow..

for antialiasing, there are bether ways (ARB_multisample or something similar..)

for motionblur.. there are good ways to fake that, too.. depends on your needs..

i think it would be good to have an accum tutorial. but i don''t think the accum buffer has much use..

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

Basically you can do almost all accumulation buffer effects with render-to-texture algorithms, which are much more flexible. Moreover, as davepermen wrote, accumulation buffers are not likely to be suported in hardware on most consumer-level cards, so there''s a big performance deal with it.

With that said, accumulation buffer is really interesting as it allows various effects, from anti-aliasing to depth-of-field and much more, but I just think accumulation buffers are merely obsolete since their usage can be overriden by other techniques that are better supported by current hardware.
Do y''all think it is allright if I do an accum tut including render-to-texture and/or other ways of faking stuff?

I will make the pure accum code anyway, so you know how to do it when it is fully supported.
The world isn't unpredictable. It's CHAOTIC.
nobody sais no == everyone wants it :D

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement