Viskit a great 3d API for games

Started by
2 comments, last by sman 23 years, 9 months ago
The subject should''ve been "Viskit a great 3d API for games" with a question mark. I have looked at there website http://www.viskit.com and tried to get more information unfortunetly, they are slow to respond. Anyone hear of this API and if so would it work well in games? From what I read it looks like it can do 7th guest type of games, but not real time action oriented games (i.e. tomb raider, quake, etc...) Also, Withclord, when is the search function going to be fixed? I have tried it several times to exploit all the information on these boards but it keeps coming back "SQL Server timed out". Thanks, Sam C
-----------------------------00000010 - My 2 bits"Smile life gets worse, and then you die!" - Optimist
Advertisement
Well, I''ve been using VisKit since it came out. It is a scene graph API similar to SGI''s Performer. And it''s very well written. You can download the docs and HTML help for it and read through it if you want to see for yourself.

I''ve written several plugins for it, a 3DSMax exporter, and a fairly simple editor. The plugins I wrote include a CLOD terrain renderer based on the Rottgers alg and several animation plugins. You can check them out here:
http://public.surfree.com/dougcox

VK doesn''t really prevent you from making any type of game. You could make a FPS or a RTS game with it. It''s a scene graph API though, not a game engine (meaning, you''ll have to do some work).

The only downside is that Paradigm has been busy with other projects and needs to release a patch to fix a couple ~minor~ bugs. But for $99....

-doug
About the search engine; I have absolutely no idea as it is out of my hands. All I know is that the GDNet staff is aware of the problem and doing their best to solve it.

- WitchLord

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Freeside, thanks for the response. I''ll check your page out. I''m really not looking for a game engine API sorta of speak, but mostly a 3d graphic rasterizer. I just want to be able to display the graphics on the screen. I would do all the AI, tree, portal, file readying, and all the background programming, but I don''t want the graphic rasterizer to be limited in what I can do with it.

Thanks for the heads up Witchlord, I hope they fix it soon, so I don''t post any redundant questions.
-----------------------------00000010 - My 2 bits"Smile life gets worse, and then you die!" - Optimist

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement