• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Russell

The C++ Programming Language

This topic is 5481 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I can get the 2nd edition of the book The C++ Programming Language for cheap, or the 3rd edition of the book for regular price. Which should I get?

Advertisement
how cheap is cheap? if it''s $10 or something ... you can probably find the changes referenced online ... because many publishers consider the edition revisions to be owed to owners of previous editions (particularly for computer books where they are often typos and source code failures)

Guest Anonymous Poster
You want the third edition. The differences between the second and third edition are significant as the C++ language changed significantly between the time the two edition came out. The second edition came out in 1991 before the ISO standard for c++ and the third edition came out in 1997-8 or so, basically at the time the standard was finalized. Basically that means that the second edition has nothing meaningful to say about the stl or templates, but the third edition does.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!