Beginner. Need Help

Started by
5 comments, last by MetaL_ManiaC 20 years, 8 months ago
Im totally new to programming and game devolpment I wanted to know a list of books I should own I dont have a lot of money so I cant waste any of it.any help would be appreciated
Advertisement
This is for you:

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/start_here/

[edited by - White Crow on August 18, 2003 4:36:59 PM]
~~~~~~I'll make you an offer you can't refuse...
If you hadn''t noticed thats the link in the top left that says "For Beginngers".

A Pointless Point,
-J
I borrow books from the library first, then if it is good, I''ll get it.
<!-- ................................ -->u r what u bcomeMy (XHTML 1.0 Strict) Website
First I would definately get a book on the language you want to learn, since learning from the internet without any previous knowledge will be difficult. Once you feel competent with the language you can start learning a graphics api or library (something like SDL maybe that handles ugly stuff for you). I would recommend SDL actually... I never used it but what I hear it''s pretty good. You could also try using a 3d engine like OGRE when you are up for jumping into 3d. However, after you learn the basic structure of a game and how a graphics engine works, your best bet would be to write your own specialized library. It isn''t necessary, some commercial games license other graphics libraries (Tribes 2 (?) comes to mind - uses the Torque engine), but if done right it should let you get a speed boost and help things go smoother along the way (assuming you don''t get caught up writing the engine).
____________________________________________________________AAAAA: American Association Against Adobe AcrobatYou know you hate PDFs...
Hello

I know this is really not what your asking but it does what you want. I personnally have read a lot of books on both gamedev and programming and i found that it really didn''t help me that much as compared to a course. I went to the game institute and took there courses on programming, mathmatics, gl and directx. If i had a chance to get the money back for the books that i bought i would gladly do it. They help, there is homework, unless you are the type of person that will read a chapter and then go work with it for a bit then i would recomend checking them out. Made a world of difference for me.

Later, Ben
The for beginners place is a good start to look at books, but it depends on what language you want to use, what kind of learner you are, etc.. I would suggest online tutorials, since they usually are free, perhaps the cplusplus.com tutorial I know it isn''t standard C++, but it should teach you the basic concepts. And maybe a reference, and then once you get C++, I would worry about game specific stuff.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement