• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dagamer34

Collision Detection

This topic is 5392 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know. I know. You are tired of 3D collision detection posts!!! But just help a fellow prgrammer out HERE!! So, on to my problem. I have gotten my .md2 model class to work and everything else works perfectly like i want to except one thing. I have NO COLLISION DETECTION. I have seen posts about rays and ellipsoids and all that but i am confused. Right now i am using a library for collision detection but i am fed up with it. It requires that i add all the faces for the model and finalize it. I takes up too much processing time!! So I was wondering where i should go. I have used some 3D math and am looking for some tutorials over collision detection. I know this isn''t a DirectX problem. Just wanted to post it here because there are more users in this part of the forum. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!!! (that is if you help me)

Advertisement
It really depends how accurate you want to be. You could use Bounding sphere/box algos if you dont mind approximations. Lots of resources on how to do it on the web, but I''ll see if I can find a couple of links when I get home.

Neil

WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THE LARGEST ARMS IN THE WORLD RUN WILD ON YOU?!?!

Most collision detection libraries will need to know all vertices. The finalize method probably processes one time all the vertices and collects them into bounding objects. After this, I am sure that the collision detection library check bounding volumes and does the detection only if it is necessary.

So if you were to write this yourself, then you would probably do the same thing.

No matter what you use, you will need to spend some time processing, but don''t worry, computers do this well!

So I guess that I am saying that you should probably use that collision detection library unless you want to learn how to do it yourself.

Learning to do this yourself is a fun activity and is not hard as long as you are not under a time crunch. You will just have to look on line for articles on bounding spheres or boxes either axes aligned or oriented, and learn to see if objects intersect. Once you find a possible collision, you will have to see if there is a actual collision of the geometry and perform collision reaction.

Good luck!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!