hardware configuration

Started by
15 comments, last by adriano_usp 20 years, 8 months ago
Yeah! For 400 bucks, you could get yourself an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by poly-gone

Actually as I reported above, you could get the *All In Wonder* version of the 9800 Pro for just under $400 US.
quote:Just more one doubt: - Is it better to invest in video card or in CPU? For example, is (Athlon XP 2400 + Radeon9800) faster than (Athlon XP 2800 + Radeon9600)?

Go with the first choice. You wouldn''t even notice the difference between a 2400 and a 2800. Here''s my specs, but whatever you do, do _not_ buy a P4PE - they''re very buggy with bootup. Umm..and know what you''re doing before you do it - cuz you can spend weeks just trying to argue with customer support to return items. Anyway, intel''s products are usually more stable (pentium, celeron, etc) and that''s why they''re more common in desktop pcs (that and bulk buys). However, they''re MUCH more expensive so you''ll probobly get better use out of an AMD processor - even if it does fry itself, you''d probobly still spend less buying a second one than if you buy a pentium at the same speed. Anyway, my specs:

CPU: P4 2.4Ghz 533Mhz system bus
Motherboard: Asus P4PE
RAM: 512MB generic
GC: ATI Radeon 9500 Pro

---
Brent Gunning | My Site | Article Thoughts: "On Batching"
quote:Original post by Michalson
MotherBoard: Asus A7N8X Deluxe $120

How is that treating you? I've been meaning to get one of those, though by the time I get around to it...

Probably the deluxe with a 2800-3000 xp, 512MB-1GB of RAM, and either a 9700, 9800, or the newer GFFX.

How are the onboards, specifically the audio? I hear the surround is kickass with a good set of x.1 speakers. I wish there was a deluxe board with just one ethernet adapter and something else thrown in... I've never been in a position to require two, but meh...

Edit:

Looking at the KT4 Ultra that poly-gone suggested above just made my choice a little harder. Seems like it has all the features I like about the A7N8X, the single ethernet adapter, but no NForce2... I wonder how it's onboard sound stacks up to SoundStorm or whatever it's called.

------------
- outRider -

[edited by - outRider on August 19, 2003 11:06:28 PM]
quote:Original post by Michalson
quote:Original post by poly-gone

Actually as I reported above, you could get the *All In Wonder* version of the 9800 Pro for just under $400 US.

It was around 300+, and yes it was a little expensive. Just for the tower I built was $1300, and now I see why. All of the hardware was not worth it, but when I want something I get it. I don''t worry about cost to much. If I can get something the same day for $100 or wait a week and order it for $50, I''ll get it that day. I hate waiting for my toys

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"
Go with a celeron?!

DO NOT GET ONE

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE JOKING, THEY HAVE ABSOLUTLY NO FLOATING POINT PROCESSORS, ALL FLOATING POINT CALCULATIONS ARE DONE IN SOFTWARE,

I repeat (at a not loud voice), do not get a Intel Celeron!!!!!!
<!-- ................................ -->u r what u bcomeMy (XHTML 1.0 Strict) Website
quote:Original post by bcome
Go with a celeron?!

DO NOT GET ONE

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE JOKING, THEY HAVE ABSOLUTLY NO FLOATING POINT PROCESSORS, ALL FLOATING POINT CALCULATIONS ARE DONE IN SOFTWARE,

I repeat (at a not loud voice), do not get a Intel Celeron!!!!!!

Please ignore the above poster, he doesn''t actually know what he is talking about. The celeron processor has a fully functioning FPU. The celeron (which really covers a lot of different chips) is basically just a copy of the current model Pentium (there have been Celerons for the PII, PIII and P4) which has less (normally half) of the expensive L2 cache (the first celerons where copies of the PII with no cache but that flopped) and lower core and bus speeds which means the manufactering process is cheaper since you don''t have as much waste (when you make computer chips you have to test them to see how fast they can actually go. From a single print of silicon you''d get several different speed chips. As the $quality$ of your process goes up the number of high speed chips increases [this is the same in the ram business too])

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement