time and space in a virtual world

Started by
11 comments, last by syn_apse 20 years, 8 months ago
Erkki, Grusifixi, I wouldn''t worry about it, becaues the worlds may be the same size and have the same physics, but entirely different plots, making each have it''s own unique market merits.

quote:

By sny_apse
i am encouraged and a little...um...frightened that the industry is indeed headed in this direction.

Design was bound to take a turn toward realism as a medium matures, part of the process. Have a good time with your design, make a good design I say.

quote:
i am encouraged because my opinion is that the industry has stagnated as of late, and i had gotten the impression that, like with the music industry, the only real goal is to profit, and that true interactive experiences and artistic integrity were simply obstacles to those profits.

There''s a lot of profit motive for sure, but creativity has to be employed if a title is going to compete for those dollars. Artistic integrity may be lost in some places, but it makes markets in others, so it''s not an either/or imo.

quote:
i am frightened because there is always a chance that someone will take an idea very similar to one of my own, and completely screw it up. this is, after all, the reason that i started designing this game and others; because i was disappointed with what the industry was producing.

but, i like to think that i''m a fairly objective person, so i''ll take a wait-and-see approach.

I am reminded of the old screenwriting saying, "Every story has alreayd been told, but not by you." Your uniqueness and individuality and personal POV in terms of creative design vision will more than likely make the game unique. Just do what screenwriters do and make it happen and let it stand or fall on it''s own merits. What else can you do, unless your Uncle is Bill Gates?

These kinds of games are well deserved imo, for the players

Adventuredesign

Always without desire we must be found, If its deep mystery we would sound; But if desire always within us be, Its outer fringe is all that we shall see. - The Tao

Advertisement
It seems to me that there are two types of "downtime" in a "lifetime" game - there''s time spent not even playing the game (even the most dedicated gamer has to sleep a couple of times a week, and a lot of gamers have something that resembles a real life as well) when, OK, the player could theoretically leave the machine running the game (in the background probably) and hope he doesn''t miss anything too important (his character getting killed for example) and then there''s in-game down-time when the character is, for example, sleeping, eating, travelling long distances... For player downtime, you can pause the game world, keep game time tied to real time (meaning either keeping the program running 24/7 or having to cope with a large amount of simulation backlog when the program next loads - either way you still need to consider how to avoid the player missing something important) or keeping game and real time synchronised until the next event that requires player attention then pausing the game there.

For character downtime, you can subsume it into player downtime (which means the player has to schedule his real life around the game - or the game has to adapt to the player''s life), you can skip ahead (faster time rate or straight skip) as discussed by previous posters, or you can allow the player to perform administrative tasks (juggling inventory, long term planning, levelling up?) play mini-games (playing chess against the caravan master during a journey for example) and any other aspects of the game that would be harder to do in the middle of an action sequence.
What about mystic teleportation portals scattered about in ruins? Perhaps they''re hidden until someone finds them.
7|-|3 p057 @b0v3 i5 c3/^7i|=i3|) 1337!100|< |=0/^ j||3|/|7

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement