• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Export Animations from Maya in what format?

This topic is 5295 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all. I''ve created a bunch of animations for my game in Maya, and I was wondering what format I should use to export the animations? I will be writing my own animation loader so if anyone could let me know a good format to use, and maybe even a link to the format''s description that would be great. If you have any code that loads animations exported from Maya that you wouldn''t mind me looking at I would also appreciate that. Thanks. Cbmeredith

Advertisement
You should always make your own exporter, that''ll save you a lot of time in the end, and you''ll be able to implement new nice features, that other file formats don''t have.

-----------------------------
AM

There''s a .x file exporter available for Maya 4.5, i havent tried it for animations though. send me an e-mail: nodger@eircom.net and i''ll send it to you

I probably should stop, My doctor says I have the wrists of an 80-year old

In regards to writing my own exporter, where would I even start to write one of these? I mean, the animations are stored in my maya scene, how do I go about taking these animations and exporting them to my own file format?

I''ve heard of formats .md2, .md3 are these animation formats? And is there an exporter for these formats that I can use with Maya 4.0 Unlimited?

Thanks for the .x exporter offer but I don''t have Maya 4.5, I am currently using Maya 4.0 Unlimited.

Thanks for the replies.... Keep em coming.

Cbmeredith

When installing Maya, there should be a ''SDK'' option. -This will install the Maya SDK, which includes exporter/importer samples. Taking it from there should be straight forward.

AM

After you''ve installed Maya 4.0, go to the

c:\Aw\Maya\SDK

or

c:\Aw\Maya\Include

folders and start looking. (Sorry, I don''t remember the exact folders...).

You will find the SDK there and various samples and workspaces (which you can load in VC6). My advice is to look at their .OBJ export sample (objexport) and work your way from there. Remember to set up your include and lib directories to point to the relevant folders in the SDK.

The ability to make mods is important, so I'd use an open-source exporter, but just writing your own right off the bat sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

I'm not sure if Cal3D has a working Maya exporter right now. Try cal3d.sourceforge.net

- Josh

PS. Cal3D can do skinning and all that stuff, but you can just ignore that functionality completely and use it as a model exporter/loader.

[edited by - Nekhmet on August 20, 2003 4:30:38 PM]

quote:
Original post by Nekhmet
The ability to make mods is important, so I''d use an open-source exporter, but just writing your own right off the bat sounds like more trouble than it''s worth.

By ''open-source exporter'' you mean a common fileformat, like .Obj, .x, etc. ? -You must realize that such formats are limited to geometry, materials, etc. - all graphics stuff.

Sooner or later you''ll like to store other things, like sounds, gameplay, etc.

Amma

Yea, I did realize that Amma. Since I''m fairly new to creating games I''m only concerned with the graphics aspect of the game right now. Thanks for the heads up though.

Cbmeredith

Well, actually, I meant Open Source code, not open file format, though I suppose if the source is open, the file format's open too.

- Josh

Correction: I meant free software, as in LGPL'd.

[edited by - Nekhmet on August 23, 2003 5:35:43 PM]

And can someone help me? I''ve not found the little button in Maya that lets me make music, gameplay, or other things? Am I just missing something? (Sorry Amma, it''s just painfully obvious you didn''t read the rest of the forum). I looked it up on the web about writting an exporter for Maya and unfortunately it appears as though my link for it is gone. If I find it I''ll post it. Anyway, whatever you do, DON''T do something like this:

while( !feof( mayaFile ) )
{
getline( mayaFile, myLine );

ParseLine( myLine );
}

because it''s SUICIDE! There have got to be hundreds of MEL commands and most don''t even turn up except for once in a blue moon. Therefore, if you read the examples provided with Maya, they''ll demonstrate how to use the Maya Developer API to retrieve useful information (vertices, texture coords, etc.) from Maya without having to translate the file format yourself ( e.g. Maya_ReadFile( myFile ); Maya_GetModel( "player01" ); )

Chris Pergrossi
My Realm | "Good Morning, Dave"

quote:
Original post by c t o a n
And can someone help me? I''ve not found the little button in Maya that lets me make music, gameplay, or other things? Am I just missing something? (Sorry Amma, it''s just painfully obvious you didn''t read the rest of the forum).

?? Of course there''s no button for making gameplay. However, it''s common knowledge that most companies expand Maya with their own ''modyfiers'' to allow gameplay to be setup - from within Maya. -Naughty Dog being a perfect example.

Amma

• Advertisement