nibbles.... *shudder*

old, horrible monochrome flashbacks...

Im in on making one to...

========================
Game project(s):
www.fiend.cjb.net
=======================Game project(s):www.fiend.cjb.net
Advertisement
POINT: Don''t feel forced to make your own "Snake" clone just because many people do! "Snake" is created that often because it is easy to code and therefor exactly what some people need for learning purposes...
Well, I don''t want to persuade you into making NO "Snake" clone, why should I? I just wanted to say that you don''t have to do what most people do...

Yours,

Indeterminatus

--si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses--
Indeterminatus--si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses--
Hey, i like the idea of having a "Snake" competition. i''d like to see all the different "spins" different ones would put on it. and i don''t know how many of you have played the snake game w/ curves, but i did on a ti-83 calculator and it was *really* fun. prob''ly a bit harder to code, though.
i''ve always wondered what it would be like to make a 3d version, where you could "spit" at your opponent or breath fire or somethin. anyways...
farmersckn

Sometimes even chickens need to eat... Don't bang your head against a wall just to enjoy the good feeling when you stop.
Yesterday is the past, tomorrow is the future. Today is a gift, that is why we call it the present.
When you get bored in school, snake on your mobile phone can be a real life saver!
The best thing about programming a snake clone is, that you can make it as hard to program as you like. You can either implement curves, to openGl graphics, make it 3d… or you can just have the basic 2d blocks.

BTW, I’m really in for a snake competition! it’d be an excuse to take a break from coding my 3d engine )

Pascalix;
Pascalix;
Pascalix: I presume u play on a Nokia phone, whats ur highscore?

========================
Game project(s):
www.fiend.cjb.net

Edited by - JonatanHedborg on July 1, 2000 12:44:54 PM
=======================Game project(s):www.fiend.cjb.net
Hi all.

It''s interesting to read about this "snake" again, I wrote my own version about 11 - 12 years ago while in Hi school on my Tandy Color Computer 2 using 2 string variables to hols x-y position for each body part of the snake (it used text mode).

I also remenber I made I little game at school computer lab about a little helicopter. All control you had over it was the firing gun, as it was made on a Commodore PET, and those are/were pretty slow. One fellow student almost break every one of my bones because I did not want to give him a copy of the freaking game.

It would be an iteresting contest, though. I wish I had time to participate.

Topgoro
We emphasize "gotoless" programming in this company, so constructs like "goto hell" are strictly forbidden.
My highest score was 1356 at level 9

Snake was the first game in windows using GDI. I was trying to learn DirectX on my own. Now that I think of it, the game doesn''t even look like one
Mmm all this Snake talk.. It reminds me of a christmas
eve some years ago when I was watching Gremlins
(damn fine movie) and coded a Nibbly clone (MaskTime II)
in QBasic. Anyway, when I read about Nibbles I kind of
thought about Gorilla too. A classic game, which shouldn''t
be too hard to code really. Something similar to M$''s Gorilla
where you have this randomized buildings, and two gorillas
which throw bananas at eachother. Pretty fun really,
if you are two. You can add elements such as wind, and uhm
gravity of course. Don''t want a triangle path Oh well-

"garbage in garbagecan? hm.. makes sense"
"garbage in garbagecan? hm.. makes sense"
a snake contest would be cool!

is''nt there a place here on gamedev where you can submit contest ideas (or is it article requests that i''m thinking of...)

but hell, it does''nt have to be official or anything :D
I just have to say "WOW". Didn''t excpect this much response about snake, nor did I excpect a competition about it, but I think it sounds really cool. Good to see that there are alot of u guys out there who enjoys haveing a friendly competition in a simple game.

I''ve finally gotten time to sit down and start looking into c++. Didn''t take me long to get stuck tho. Never had much to do with grafics, and now I have to get a basic understanding of DirectX to get that little snake friend of our on the screen.

Hopefully I''ll figure something out and can come up with something to enter into the contest.

Well, all of you enjoy your programming. I''ll check back here later and might post another update on my progress (or so I hope I will have). Feel free to post updates on your progress and any new ideas you might want to share with the rest of us.

Mavster

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement