• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hogosha

Making invisible win32 applications

This topic is 5443 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to make an application that can intercept inputs from any program, but at the same time remaining unable to be seen. i''ve tried using hide, but that didn''t get any commands, so how do i do this? Higher Forces

Advertisement
If you don''t want it to be visible at first you can just not give it a window, but it will still be seen in the task list. No one here is going to tell you how to get that to disappear since it falls under the category of a virus/key-logger/other nasty thing.

Or it falls under the category of "for educational purposes only".

Go burn some books.

And to answer your question, from what I recall you can use a
ShowWindow(hwnd,SW_HIDE); 

It's not reality that's important, but how you perceive things.

[edited by - The Reindeer Effect on August 19, 2003 1:07:17 AM]

Logging program huh. Not to intercept passwords or anything right.

-Mark

P.S. You can't grab all inputs from any program using an exe application (as others seem to be telling you). Note to others, he already said he figured out how to hide a window. He wants to hook keyboard input (doh! I almost blew it).

You need to inject a dll into the explorer process space. Its not trivial but then again I have quite a few years of low level C++ experience.

[edited by - codepunk on August 19, 2003 1:05:42 AM]

[edited by - codepunk on August 19, 2003 1:11:11 AM]

Actually, an exe can be used to capture system wide keyboard and mouse events on W2K/WXP. Check out the code here: Systemwide Windows Hooks without external DLL for details. The author of that site claims his example can be adapted for use with any type of windows hook, but in my experiments it only works with WH_MOUSE_LL and WH_KEYBOARD_LL hooks and those are only available on W2K or later.

Quite interesting. Although I don''t understand the argument why using a DLL is so bad and the whole documentation conspiracy theory. But, the article is interesting nonetheless.

-Mark

P.S. You realize we just answered the OP''s question...whoops.

quote:
Original post by LessBread
Actually, an exe can be used to capture system wide keyboard and mouse events on W2K/WXP. Check out the code here: Systemwide Windows Hooks without external DLL for details. The author of that site claims his example can be adapted for use with any type of windows hook, but in my experiments it only works with WH_MOUSE_LL and WH_KEYBOARD_LL hooks and those are only available on W2K or later.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!