Making invisible win32 applications

Started by
18 comments, last by hogosha 20 years, 8 months ago
That''s nice hogosha.

All you will ever need to know.
"When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy."
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way.
Advertisement
Create a window with 0 as the height and 0 as the width?
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis
if you create it with 0 height and width it can have 2 outcomes, 1 if you have a title for the window it will show a small window with the title and no room for anything else, if there is no title, then you dont see anything, except in taskbar.
i don''t understand why you need a visible window to make this work. i''ve coded up many keyboard hooks and none of them required a visible window. but, to get rid of the taskbar icon just use the WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW extended style. to make a 0x0 sized window, even with a titlebar, you can handle the WM_GETMINMAXINFO and specify 0 for the minimum and maximum tracking sizes in the MINMAXINFO struct that''s passed as the lParam of the msg. just using a WS_POPUP style window is even easiter since windows of that style have no pre-defined size limits. it''s also easy to keep a visible window but position it off screen. another solution might be to find the ProgMan window and change your window''s z order so that it''s below that window. assuming Explorer is the shell being used of course.
again, as I''ve said to everyone else creating viruses/torjans/spy-apps.... find the BO2K source code (it''s Open source) and read that
Run your program as background service, and eat the hook from there.
"after many years of singularity, i'm still searching on the event horizon"
quote:Original post by codepunk
Quite interesting. Although I don''t understand the argument why using a DLL is so bad and the whole documentation conspiracy theory. But, the article is interesting nonetheless.

I contribute that to posturing on the author''s part. It''s likely that he hasn''t been unable to get a hook working with a dll and just doesn''t want to admit it.

quote:Original post by codepunk
P.S. You realize we just answered the OP''s question...whoops.

I don''t think he''ll be able to do much damage with it.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
WHy create a window at all? You don''t need one. Just a WinMain and whatever. Btw, those programs exist already. They''re called keyloggers.
Haha that article author is hilarous.

"OMG!!!1111!!1 i am teh l33t and M$ are the sux cuz they want to restrict spies by f0rcing hookz to use DLLz."

This guy obviously have no clue how processes and export functions work. He also failed to understand that making something complicated is not a good way of restricting. No wait... in his case, it almost worked

Oooh, you found the horadric nuke!
Did you know, that by using a horadric nuke, you can blow up Diablo and solve all our problems!

[edited by - Coincoin on August 20, 2003 11:20:24 PM]
Editor42 ...builds worlds
If you''re interested here is a keylogger I threw together in Delphi a couple years ago. Works on 98/2000/XP. This app doesn''t hide the window, but it''s not hard to do. I''m sure there are plenty of examples out there.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement