• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My balls are not shiny enough

This topic is 5268 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

They said "balls" sounds more friendly than "sphere" when comes to discussion with the designers. So you know it''s actually referin'' to "3D sphere", rather than, uhm... the you-know-what. Now I have created my spheres, applied texture with alpha to them with D3DRS_LIGHTING turned off (FALSE). Ya it looks semi- transparent, but hey, it just don''t look real enough. My objective in this project is to make a realistic glass sphere in Direct3D. (Glass, that''s why it''s semi-transparent with some reflection map) So I''m just wonderin'', if you happen to know it, what are the options for me to make realistic glass spheres. Turn on the lights, apply some materials, and stuff. What are my options? Thanks for any help I''ll be gettin''.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
reflection, refraction, fresnel reflection, this list keeps goin'' on and on.

You''ll be needin'' a bunch o'' things if''n you will be renderin'' realistic lookin'' glass. Caustic patterns caused by light transmittin'' through the glass would be lookin'' mighty good as well.

Awwww... that must have been some vertex shader stuff there.
Thanks, those would be good if the targetted hardware supports
it. They threw me an on-board Intel 82845G and asked me to
develop this so that I can cater for super low end machines,
even notebooks.

I''m gonna tell them the target would be Riva TNT2 at least, on-
board cards only accelerate Win32 buttons drawin'', damn it. So
presume there''s no VS or PS kinda stuff available, what are the
options I left? Other than lookin'' for another job.

Thanks again!

A really cheap ''n'' nasty way is to use multiple texture passes. Assuming you have a light-spot texture, the semi-transparent glass texture and a few others just to confuse the user, you can just render the sphere a few times with the different textures.

If you take a look at some common 2d art programs (Paint Shop Pro for example), they are able to approximate shiny glasss surfaces just using appropriate 2d effects.

However, having said that, there''s no way to get real glass-like effects without using environment bump mapping and one or three VS/PS. You can make the ball look as glassy as you like, but without those things you can''t make it distort the background the way that glass does.

Alright man, thanks for the piece of information.

I''m lookin'' into the Spherical Map Sample that comes with DX9
SDK. Look at the code one can tell it''s usin'' VS for the sphere
map processin''. I''m sure it runs in software rather than usin''
my on-board graphic chip which does not support VS/PS. But the
speed is quite fast though, I guess it''s just some simple
vertex processin'' that isn''t so expensive to use my CPU.

Thanks again for help!

• Advertisement