Game Development and Families

Started by
20 comments, last by Jbs 20 years, 7 months ago
7 posts from one person in 15 minutes? Can you say "troll"? It''s not a wonder you''re on problation...

Anyway...

You know FrancoisSoft, a lot of what you''re saying would have merit if you were in business for yourself or just a hobbyist.

You''re awful damn lucky to have a job that''s 3 days a week. I imagine those 3 days would be hell (assuming a normal 40 hour week) but to have 4 days of weekend every week would be awesome.

In case you haven''t ever been exposed to the real world of work (which it sounds you might not have been), most people have to work 40 hrs/wk (with more hours counted as overtime as necessary). And because of religious issues mainly, it''s deemed that Saturday and Sunday aren''t supposed to be workdays (that''s kind of archaic now but it''s the original basis for it). So to maximize the number of business days, that 40 hours is split over the five normal work days. Hence 8 hrs/day.

quote:8 HOURS A DAY!!! HELL! Only a nerd could do that!

By those standards, every single full-time worker (by my standard above) is a nerd. If you only mean programming 8 hours a day, then every single full-time programmer out there is a nerd.

And I bet in Void''s case, his company''s in "crunch" time. In case you couldn''t figure it out, that''s when you have to work more because something has to be done soon. You can''t tell me you never did anything like that when you were in school at the very least...

-Auron
Advertisement
A life? What is that? Hehe, I''ve been in the industry for over 10 years now.

Well you can manage to have a night life once in awhile, or at least I did. This industry is NOT friendly towards families or relationships. So before you get involved with somebody make sure they know the demands of your job, assuming that you are not working for a cooshy game company which doesn''t demand alot of hours from you... Yes there are those out there what are like that.

In my case, I have my own compnay running a MOG. I live and breath the game, so do most people in the office. We are either developing, working on support emails, playing the game or GMing. I''m on call 24/7/365. Hell I feel bad when I take took days off, which was the first time I took any time off in the last 4 years. But the lady in my life understands my work and supports me. I also have a son who loves my game and plays with me when he can. That is always good.

I''ve known people who dated other developers and even work on the same projects. That can be good and bad. They tend to argue over who''s code runs the best or whatever and God forbid they ever argue about Who''s bug it is.

You have to love what you do and have somebody in your life who understands enough and respects you enough to let you do it. Squeeze every ounce of time you can and yes IMs help some.

In normal environments you''ll have alot of time between projects or during starting phases of a game. You''ll get plenty of time for a social life then. But close the doors when you crunch. You will not see the light of day for a very long time.

http://www.dransik.com
Jason ElyAsylumsoft, Inc.http://www.dransik.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement