• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Octress in DirectX

This topic is 5358 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m searching for tutorials on doing Octrees in DirectX. All I get when I search google is Octress in OpenGL. I know how Octrees work, but I need to make an Octree system which uses vertex buffers and index buffers (if that is possible) to render complex models which are textured. Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks

Advertisement
If you know how octrees work, why do you need a directx sample?
From your question I gather that you want either a library or source that someone else wrote so you don''t have to do it, correct? Maybe you need to ask yourself some questions on what you want with your project, and then try to see if there is any 3rd party libraries that can help you out. I am afraid it looks like you will have to take another tour on google.

I know how Octrees work, as in what a node is, how to split up an Octree till each node in it reaches a minimum number of polys and so on. What I wan''t to know is how to render the vertices in the nodes using vertex buffers, with materials and textures, since all the vertices won''t have the same materials and textures.

i recommend looking up Dynamic VB's.. IIRC, there was an article here at gamedev on it that was really, really helpful. it wasnt too long ago. might be under sweet snippets.
anyway basically as you traverse your octree, if its in the frustum add the vertices in the node to the VB, if the VB is full render what you got and start traversing again.

another way if your octree was static. is to allocate a static vb to each node that has vertices on creation and simple check and render procedure.

Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'... - Shawshank Redemption
Altered Vision

[edited by - syrillix on August 19, 2003 9:29:42 AM]

• Advertisement