• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PelleTM

Hey! I need some H E L P! :-)

This topic is 5540 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am on a quest to make a 3D game. I''ve learnt some basic stuff about programming. DOS applications mostly, but I don''t remember that much of it. However, I have some experience with general loops and such things, and I am not an idiot either so I have confidence in my quest. The only problem is when it comes to Maths, since you all speak English on these forums it''s hard to translate all the concept to Swedish, but I hope that will solve itself as well. So my questions are; 1) What do I need to learn do make a DOOM I type 3d engine? 2) What langugage to I code in, etc? 3) Are there some good tutorials on this, and need I buy some books? 4) Would it be stupid to make a DOOM I type engine instead of a more advanced one, even for a beginner? I''m planning to have it done in 6 months or so, but I have limited time to learn and script it as well. 5) Would it take a lot of time to make a game using an engine? Again DOOM I.

Advertisement
well i am a beginner also, i just made a simple 2d alien invader type game, but i try to answer a few things anyway.

> 1) What do I need to learn do make a DOOM I type 3d engine?
i'd say OpenGL, and Math

> 2) What langugage to I code in, etc?
C++ (notice the ++)

> 3) Are there some good tutorials on this, and need I buy some > books?
books are nice to look things up, i am sure you'll find some good book to buy on this site.

> 4) Would it be stupid to make a DOOM I type engine instead of a more advanced one, even for a beginner? I'm planning to have it done in 6 months or so, but I have limited time to learn and script it as well.
i think so yes, only because DOOM is old dosen't mean its trivial. You better start with small little tiny games.

> 5) Would it take a lot of time to make a game using an engine? Again DOOM I.
yes

Lazzar

[edited by - Lazzar on August 19, 2003 6:51:47 AM]

Welps..
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0672318350/ref=sr_aps_books_1_3/202-0625286-4283022

if you aint stoopid...get that book. It tells you how to write a 3d engine using only one thing. PlotPixel().

I dont have the book but i believe its good.

If your not looking to learn in this kind of depth then learn DirectX or OpenGL.

Of that 6 months, you will need atleast 3 months to be comfortable enough with opengl/3d concepts to make a doom like game. Since all you have done is DOS programming, you have quite alot to learn. If you don''t slack in the 6 months, you could make it.

1&2) You would need to use a programming language like C/C++ or any other which supports OpenGL or DirectX. Though i reccommend C/C++ because it''s easier to get resources and tutorials for them.

3)Nehe and GameTutorials.com are very good websites for tutorials.

4)By DoomI i would think you are referring to a 3d world with textured polygons, monsters, First Person Shooter, weapons, other misc stuff. If that is it, it is no simple task for a beginner, but if you think you are up to it, you can do even more. However considering you want to do it in 6 months, you should stick to this.

5) Using an engine would mean you have 50-75% of the programming work done for you. You would just need the game logic, But you would need to concentrate on your graphics, sound and design too. So it''s still going to take some time.

I''ll vouch for ACAC, the book he suggested is great, but its rather hard-core with a lot of math and a much lower level of thinking compared to something like DX or OGL.

Doom, I think is doable, if you''re done at least one other game project or have a good bit of experience. I''m sure there are tons of tutorials on doom style raycasters, you may want to take it up a notch to something more like Duke Nukem 3D; just a thought, but keep your goals at a level where you can accomplishe them. And as far as engines go, sometimes they''re almost as hard to learn how to use properly as they are to make yourself, especially simpler ones.

Ravyne, NYN Interactive Entertainment
[My Site][My School][My Group]

Excuse me but ain''t it more simple to write a software renderer for Doom-style game?Or a ray-caster for Wolf-style game?

"Tonight we strike,there is thunder in the sky,together we''ll fight,some of us will die,but they''ll always remember that we''ve made a stand and many will die by hand!" - ManOwaR

Thanks for the comments, guys. You seem to be pros at this.

Firstly the actual game comes in second hand (if I manage to make an engine, the game could be 1 level with 1 gun or something like that). Or probably I'll make it later as an addition to myself rather than the project.

I won't use an already made engine because the project would be about making an engine :-) The features such as physics would probably be narrowed down to not falling through the floor or not being able to walk through walls.

But I'll look into some tutorials and see if I can get something animated in 3D. What would really help, though is to get some site or book where a guy has done exactly what I am doing, to create a 3D engine.

Only one person said it was impossible so from now on: Outlook is good.

Also; is the actual coding a BIG part? Such as I will need to write a thousand pages of code or does the problem lie in understanding how all this works?

(p.s. I also noticed that the DOOM I sourcecode is avaibile for download, but for the linux version. Hm?)

(p.p.s. Is there anywhere I can read a few chapters of that book for free? I figured maybe you can make a few "fake" polygons in a 2D window by just giving points xy and a fictive z values and then calculating triangles between them, and then drawing lines of the appropriate length... I'll try this but no need to comment on it.)

[edited by - PelleTM on August 19, 2003 8:40:52 AM]

quote:
Original post by PelleTM
Also; is the actual coding a BIG part? Such as I will need to write a thousand pages of code or does the problem lie in understanding how all this works?

The coding side is a huge part in all of this. You can literally write 1,000s of lines of code for something like this.

quote:

(p.s. I also noticed that the DOOM I sourcecode is avaibile for download, but for the linux version. Hm?)

DOOM was developed way back when even ensuring compatibility between different DOS versions, was quite a large problem. There weren''t generic APIs around that exist today, which would have made producing it, that bit more difficult. Being as the game industry was still emerging from simple 2D games, I''d imagine that Linux hadn''t emerged as a profitable gaming system yet, hence why there is no engine port available.

There might be a Linux version around somewhere, though. Someone''s already made GLDoom, which uses more recent graphics rendering techniques.

quote:

(p.p.s. Is there anywhere I can read a few chapters of that book for free? I figured maybe you can make a few "fake" polygons in a 2D window by just giving points xy and a fictive z values and then calculating triangles between them, and then drawing lines of the appropriate length... I''ll try this but no need to comment on it.)

Check that Amazon link you''ve been given. Amazon sometimes allow you to look at a few sample chapters, so you might be in luck. Failing that, I hear that Sweden is pretty much the IT capital of Europe, so perhaps a local library might have a copy?

--hellz

It''s not impossible, but I''ve been programming (lightly) for around 2 years and I still am no where near being able to create any 3d game save one really cool project I did for Psychology (it was a 3d maze... kinda like the Win Screensaver).

My advice:
You''re not going to be able to finish a doom game any time soon. Probably not this year. Nevertheless, learn as much as you can about the following things:

* Win32 (ie: how to create graphical programs)
* SDL (ie: the EASY way to create graphical programs)
* OpenGL (the honorable 3d graphics library)
* DirectX (the evil graphics, audio, and input handling)
* Trigonometry (if you try to tell me you can program graphics w/o trig, I''d laugh at you... really hard)
* Linear Algebra (vectors and matricies... know them well!)

And yes, try for smaller projects first. You need to learn what you must consider when designing a 3d game. You need to learn the stuff that comes only from experience.

I remember when I got out of my first Comp Sci class in high school, I thought I knew it all about C and C++..... After I tried working on a few simple games, I realised that my understanding of pointers was still really fuzzy. Only after typing thousands of lines of code do I finally have a good understanding of how they work.

My point, sweet and simple. Read books on 3d math and OpenGL and practice programming graphical programs.

Speaking of 3D Math, is there a book you have in mind to recommend? I''ve all but forgotten linear algebra and trig. (left school 7 years ago, and haven''t used it since...), but I''m eager to pick it up again.

Just slightly off topic. ;-)

--hellz

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!