Hey! I need some H E L P! :-)

Started by
16 comments, last by PelleTM 20 years, 8 months ago
Look on amazon.com

There are many reviewers who are in the top 1000 who, if you email them and speak politely and respectfully, will be happy to help you find a book.

e.g.:
Good:

Dear So and so,
I read your review on The Matrix: Linear Algebra Reloaded with great interest. I saw that you gave it five stars, however many people gave Gaussian Transformers: More than Meets the Eye some excellent reviews and compared that book more favourably than tm:lar. Since you are a top 500 reviewer, I thought you might have some interesting reasons why you thought TM:LAR was the book to get.

I took classes in the subject seven years ago but haven't touched the subject since and was hoping you could suggest which book you think would be a better starting point for my adventures through orthogonal subspace?

Thank you for your time,
name

Bad:
Hey Dude,
You review loads of books so tell me what linear algebra book to get

Thnx!
-OVERLORD HACKOR-
[giant shitty sig]

reaction:

I can't help you. Sorry.

re-reaction:

YOU ARE A LOSER! YOU STUPID JERK! I WILL HACK YOU!

EDIT:
I wan't implying anyone in this thread would use the bad example. I thought some of the people who help a lot of people and sometimes put up with the bad example would get a smile out of it.

[edited by - flangazor on August 19, 2003 11:51:53 AM]
Advertisement
LOL. Thanks for the help mate. I didn''t realise people actually e-mailed the reviewers, so I''ll definitely give that a shot in a bit.

Thanks a lot and keep working at those bad examples. ;-)

--hellz
haha,I do think DOOM 1 is cool at that time.
Nowadays,although we''re playing counter-strike,I still remember and wanna play DOOM with my friends.

And I am just a beginner too

Thanks for listening
Thanks for listening
Ok...

Bleh! I really wanted to make a 3D game. :-/

Anyhow.

Is a 2D game easier to do? I suppose that''s barely anything more than maths and bitmap pictures that you move around on the screen. But still could be made cool.

Anyone with experience, if a 3D game is HARD then is a 2D game EASY or MEDIUM or HARD?

About the Doom engine, I meant that there was ONLY a Linux version out. But nevermind about that.
Aha, I found a Linear Algebra book for hellz!

MIT''s site say they use: Introduction to Linear Algebra by Gilbert Strang, Wellesley-Cambridge Press
quote:Original post by flangazor
Aha, I found a Linear Algebra book for hellz!

MIT''s site say they use: Introduction to Linear Algebra by Gilbert Strang, Wellesley-Cambridge Press

flangazor, I love you! lol. Thank you VERY much!

--hellz
Do lots of standard C++ stuff. I have been doing C++ for 6 months now. I am nowhere near making it to 3D. I got OpenGL Game Programming, and understood most of the stuff. But when I hity the chapter "Advanced Texture Mapping", I got confused out of my mind and couldn''t go on any further. I am reading the free Bruce Eckel TICPP books right now. They are really good. You should read them if you haven''t already.

Scott Simontis
If it wasn''t for C, we''d be using BASI, PASAL and OBOL
Scott SimontisMy political blog
quote:Original post by PelleTM
1) What do I need to learn do make a DOOM I type 3d engine?
2) What langugage to I code in, etc?
3) Are there some good tutorials on this, and need I buy some books?
4) Would it be stupid to make a DOOM I type engine instead of a more advanced one, even for a beginner? I''m planning to have it done in 6 months or so, but I have limited time to learn and script it as well.
5) Would it take a lot of time to make a game using an engine? Again DOOM I.

2) I suggest C++, but mostly any language will do.
3) I liked Object-Oriented Programming in C++ by Robert Lafore for the basics. I don''t havn''t found a good 3D Graphics book yet (I have four), I''ve just been using online tutorials.
4) If your just starting, it will take you six months to get a single window up. I actually suggest something less. 3D is a damn lot of work. I suggest simple Pong using DX or OpenGL first.
5) Depends on the engine. About five years ago, I make a VB engine that could get a descent 2D game up and running in 2 hours, while the one that my programming buddy made took about 8 hours to make the same game. I''m now porting the engine to C++, and believe me, it''s a lot of work.

quote:Original post by PelleTM
If a 3D game is HARD then is a 2D game EASY or MEDIUM or HARD?

WAY easier. Put it this way, in a 2D game, all you have to worry about is in you draw one picture infront, or behind of another picture. In a 3D game, there are millions of more things to worry about: light, texturing, bumpmaping, blah blah blah ^ 5...

For a beginner, 2D is the way to go. Just a ship flying a round randomly is an amazing accomplishment.

Rob Loach
Current Project: Go Through Object-Oriented Programming in C++ by Robert Lafore

"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?"
- The Boondock Saints
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement