• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cmangund

GIMBAL LOCK

This topic is 5392 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am currently developing a simple flight sim. I have problems with gimbal lock. My aircraft is facing in negative x direction with roll using z-axis, yaw using y axis. Is there any solution beside quaterions. Because I have tried using quaternions but I ended with a crazy aircraft rotation. Any help here it would be great! Thaks Chris

Advertisement
What do you mean by an example in OpenGL? That''s a mathematical problem, not a graphical one. So it''s not specific to OpenGL.

Quaternions usually work pretty good. Are you sure your implementation was flawless? You could go over to the Math and Physics section of Articels&Resources, there''s quite a few articles about quaternions there.
If you want to avoid using them completely, you could try searching on google, for example avoiding "gimbal lock" -quaterions. Here''s also another nice article...

I mean a flight sim camera code example in opengl, because I am using opengl. So that it is faster to understand.

BTW the articles that you pointed out are nice, but still I cannot get it to work.

[edited by - cmangund on August 19, 2003 7:04:20 AM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
http://sjbaker.org/steve/omniv/eulers_are_evil.html

Guts which tutorial did you mean? I already searched the NEHE opengl tutorial but cannot find the one you pointed out?

quote:
Original post by guts
the last game tutorial on nehe''s ...

I know which tutorial do you mean, but where is it now?! NeheJeff had moved it? where?

for cmangund: Do not use pitch/yaw/roll, it is better to have one vertor pointing "front" and second pointing "up" the plane.
It is much faster for computing air friction, gravity etc..

...::why don''t we have assembler forum?::...

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!