• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kranar

A pointer to a vector.

This topic is 5538 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How can one use the [] referencing operator when working with a pointer to a vector of objects? For example, I would like to do something like the following:
vector<OBJECT>* index;

if(type == 1) {
  index = &room[target.roomid].obj;
} else if(type == 2) {
  index = &character[target.charid].obj;
}

if(index[id]->is_container) {
   index[id]->container[0].curnum = 0;
   index[id]->container[0].volume = 0;
}
if(index[id]->is_counter) {
   index[id]->counter[0].curnum = 0;
   index[id]->counter[0].volume = 0;
}
if(index[id].is_rug) {
   index[id]->rug[0].curnum = 0;
   index[id]->rug[0].volume = 0;
}
However, I get this error:

c:\objects.cpp(498): error C2819: type 'std::vector<_Ty,_Ax>' does not have an overloaded member 'operator ->'
        with
        [
            _Ty=OBJECT,
            _Ax=std::allocator<OBJECT>
        ]
Any help on how I can use a pointer to a vector of objects would be much appreciated. Thank you. [edited by - Kranar on August 19, 2003 6:48:37 AM]

Advertisement
You have to dereference index first -
e.g.

if((*index)[id].is_container)

For the compiler, index could also be an array.
So whenn you use the index operator on it, a wrong memory address would be accessed.
Then you try to use -> operator on an already dereferenced object which also hasn't the -> operator implemented -
this generates the compiler error.

BlackHC

[edited by - BlackHC on August 19, 2003 6:58:23 AM]

If ''index'' is a pointer to a std::vector, index[id] will give you the id''th vector index is pointing to.

That is:

index[id] evaluates to (std::vector).

So your line
index[id]->container[0].curnum = 0;

Looks like

(std::vector)->container[0].curnum = 0;
// Hence the error std::vector does not have -> defined.

Maybe you want to do this:

index[id][object]->container[0].curnum ?

Problem is, I don''t know what OBJECT is... index is also only pointing to one vector... so doing index[id] with any other id then 0 will result in an error...

Maybe you''re also trying to do this:
(*index)[id]-> ... ?
//Get me whatever index is pointing to (std::vector) now use [id] on that.

Yeah, just realized that.

Thanks for the quick response. I didn''t realize that -> was just eyecandy for (*pointer).member.

You must first dereference the pointer, so that you can then apply the subscript operator to the std::vector object it points to.

std::vector<T> v;
// fill

std::vector<T>* pv = &v;

// (assuming there is an overloaded operator `std::ostream& operator<<(std::ostream&, const T&)'')

std::cout << (*pv)[ix] << std::endl;

[ Google || Start Here || ACCU || STL || Boost || MSDN || GotW || MSVC++ Library Fixes || BarrysWorld || E-Mail Me ]

Just for future reference, you can also use the at() member function of std::vector, like so:

vector<OBJECT> *index;
if (index->at(id).is_container) {
}

at(n) returns a reference to the object at position n in the vector, just the same as operator[](n) .

quote:
Original post by fizban75
at(n) returns a reference to the object at position n in the vector, just the same as operator[](n) .

They are not exactly the same; std::vector::at() provides range checking, and throws a std::out_of_range (exception) if the index is out of range. It is therefore less efficient, but safer. You would use a try block and catch clause with the code you presented.

[ Google || Start Here || ACCU || STL || Boost || MSDN || GotW || MSVC++ Library Fixes || BarrysWorld || E-Mail Me ]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!