• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Malal

Which IDE?

This topic is 5595 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, Does it matter which IDE you use? or is it just a matter of personal taste? Reason I ask is I''m going to start learning C++. I have access to VS.NET and was going to just use that, but I thought I''d check and see if it makes a difference which IDE you use and which people recommend if it does. Malal

Advertisement
I think its a matter of personal choice. Currently from what I've seen people say here (but don't quote me on it) is that VC6 is industry standard rapidly being replaced by .NET. But you don't have to use those, there are many other good ones on the shelf, and even some free ones such as Dev C++. But if you got .NET, I'd use it.

-J

[edited by - jason2jason on August 19, 2003 7:18:06 AM]

It is a matter of personal taste, and I will expand on the discussion.

Some people prefer using Notepad to any full-fledged IDE like the one provided in VC++. In fact, on any Unix-based system, such as GNU/Linux, people will still code using Emacs or vi rather than using something like a graphical text editor.

I hear there is still a large number of Microsoft employees who use vi as well.

As far as which is better: Whatever gets the job done.

The IDE only allows you to write code. Some IDEs try to do color coding and have built-in debuggers. Others are very basic and just allow you to type the code in plain text. Whatever you are comfortable with, that is what you use.

Me? I liked using VC++ 6.0 when I did use it. I now program in Gnu/Linux sometimes, and while I like to use vi, I sometimes will use kate or kdevelop, which is very close to VC++.

I recommend VC++.NET as a substitute for VC6... I think it really adds useful stuff to the previous edition...

I program on Linux, and I just use gedit to make my files and open up a terminal and run gcc. I don''t need an IDE for recompiling my programs under Windows because I can just copy over the C code I wrote on Linux. Some of the editors provide useful tools like color coding, which is nice, but none of it is necessary.

It is all up to tastes, in Windows, I use Dev-C++ for C++ programming, Linux, I use eclipse for everything, and on Mac, I use project builder. They all pretty much do the same thing, you could also use gEdit,or Emacs, if you were really inclined, but it is all up to your tastes, if you prefer VC++.net, then use it. Otherwise use what you want to, it is your program, you should be comfortable with your development environment.

I program on linux and use anjuta. it has auto completion (like many other IDEs), but anjuta one''s _better_ (<- that is, i like it better) than that ones of the other linux IDEs.
for windows visual studio has the most features. if feautures don''t matter for you, you can still use DevCpp. i would not advise you to use notepad, for it doesn''t "enter intend".

Wow, I just downloaded anjuta since I heard so much about it. This is really cool.

I like how the blocks can be minimized so you can look at it if you want to or check out the functions at a higher level or a lower level if you want.

And I only have v0.1.9 (I am using Debian B-), so I could imagine what a more advanced version might be like.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Yes, it definitely matters. If you don''t pick the right one you will never be able to release your game.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!