Which editor is best?

Started by
14 comments, last by TheEarl 23 years, 9 months ago
I recently came across a heated conversation between a couple of programmers over what the ''best'' code editor is to use... So I thought I''d bring it over here. Which editor is the BEST? I personally think Visual Slickedit is, fully customisable, context highlighting etc, etc. There must others out there though. Vi is pants though - heh, heh that should get some of you going }9¬)
"We who cut mere stones must always be envisioning cathedrals"
Advertisement
It''s not gonna get us going... the "ONLY" editor I use is the DOS Edit... I write all of my coding there... then i save/open/run in windows... there''s no other editor that''s better than DOS'' edit.. im out

..-=ViKtOr=-..
I personally use MS Visual Studio. It''s a great editor and has what is considered the best debugger out there.

I have SlickEdit, but there are two main problems I have with it. One, is that even tho it is so configurable (which is sweet) I can''t find any documentation on how to change a specific feature, so I go hunting through the 1 million+ macros trying to find one that looks like it might work, which a pain. I''ve spent nearly a whole day trying to get SlickEdit to mimic VS (and I still ain''t done). The other problem is that SlickEdit is missing a feature that VS has through a third party DLL. This DLL will put tabs under your edit window, one tab for each file you have open. You click on the tab to switch to that file. Makes it so much easier to work on large projects.
- Houdini
Urgh! EMACS rulez! (I''m *so sorry*! I had to say that! Sometimes, the voices in my head make me do so.) It''s highly customizable, can handle almost all filesizes, has syntax highlighting for some languages including U**X shell scripts and is available on many platforms. Furthermore, it''s free.
But If you plan to tame the beast (configure it), then you''d better have some free nights.
bLEH! i really never liked emacs. too many damn hotkeys...
i like pico better for small editing in linux...

as far as code editing in windows, i''d say VS6...

dave

--
davidw@heehaw.com
neonstar entertainment
--david@neonstar.netneonstar entertainment
At the opposite end of the scale, I hate the Borland C++ Builder editing interface. It seems to treat my tabs as spaces, even when I''ve tried to turn this off, it doesn''t provide an easy way to select whole lines properly, and is far too ''literal'' in interpreting where I want to put the caret when I click. Not to mention its idea of ''smart tabs'' don''t seem very smart. Grr.
The best editor is vi, it''s fast and small...
yeah, vi is pretty kewl...

--
davidw@heehaw.com
neonstar entertainment
--david@neonstar.netneonstar entertainment
Personaly i use UltraEdit-32 thats just me...

========================
Game project(s):
www.fiend.cjb.net
=======================Game project(s):www.fiend.cjb.net
VS6
It has autocomplete, and the classview is very good

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement