Bot visibility radius?

Started by
13 comments, last by d000hg 20 years, 7 months ago
direction is returned in the range of -40 to 40 of the object center, if you dont see it you dont have to worry about it (you cant see objects partially in your fov, but center outside)...

and the 180deg reading you get is an object not in your fov but close to the bot

T2k
Advertisement
They might want to clarify that function in the readme.txt then. It reads like it just returns -40 to 40 for objects in view. I didn''t see an exception in there about close objects.
It's not in the readme yet, but it's in the changes.txt. And yes, I expect people to read the the change history.

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote:Original post by d000hg
3 questions:
1)Does this visibility radius notify us of objects always when they're far enough away we can avoid them. Otherwise if it had a 20unit range and our speed was 25 we could hit something before being warned. Just a minor point to make make building easier with less error detection required.

I'm pretty sure that such a case would not happen. The bots don't move that fast, and the visibility radius gives some leeway.

quote:
2)Any chance it can give true readings of direction. I see you want to make it less accurate but can you either give us true direction or just a less accurate reading like to the nearest 30 degrees so we know which way to turn?

Probably not in this version. If the direction is 180, then you know the object isn't in your FOV. Besides, this is a precursor to hearing, and you won't always know precisely what direction a sound is coming from.

quote:
3)The 80 & 90 degree FOV - this means we can see +/- 40 or 45 degrees respectively from the direction we're facing, right? So you can _just_ see two walls at once if you point directly at the corner? Didn't you suggest a 180 degree FOV for walls previously, I'd prefer that personally.

I only accepted the idea of a 90 degree FOV, not 180. 180 makes things too easy, I think.

Admin for GameDev.net.

sorry about that. didn''t think about the changes. Thanks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement