Intro to 3d 101

Started by
2 comments, last by ByteMe95 23 years, 9 months ago
Hi. I''ve been programming C/C++ for about 5 years now. I''ve been doing game programming for about 3-4 years, but I have always done 2D programming. I''ve gotten wuite good at it, but I want to catch up with the times. I''ve read introductory 3d help files but they just bore me and it seems unnecessary to know all those details. I just wanted to know a few things: What would you recommend for a QUICK guide to 3d programming with good docs and sample code Is it worth it to try and understand how 3d works, or just learn how to use D3D and use it to make 3d games without really knowing how it''s doing it? What''s the differenfce if i understand it or not?
ByteMe95::~ByteMe95()My S(h)ite
Advertisement
It makes a lot of difference if you know what''s going on in the background, at least when you reach optimization of the engine.
Direct3D is ofcourse optimized but you can make it run faster if you know what you are doing.

Some other things are REQUIRED if you''re gonna be good. For example matrix math. You will not live without it in the world of 3D.
NeHe''s OpenGL tutorial is good. I haven''t read through it completely, but i''ve heard good comments on it, and it gets right to the good stuff.

it is located at NeHe''s website

i''m pretty sure that addie works. if not, then there''s a link to it on GameDev''s main page under affiliates.

hope that gives you some insight...
david

--
davidw@heehaw.com
neonstar entertainment
--david@neonstar.netneonstar entertainment
if you don''t mind spending the money(about $40-$50)check out The Black Art Of 3D Game Programming by Andre Lamothe..it covers everything you need to know from the ground up..one of the best investments I ever made..

"Like all good things, it starts with a monkey.."
"Like all good things, it starts with a monkey.."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement