what is programming on Mac like?

Started by
15 comments, last by n0ob 20 years, 7 months ago
quote:Original post by Coaster Kev
Wow.. I looked at that MacDX page. Only difference is that they CHARGE you for it.

yeah, unfortuanetly.
Advertisement
I''ve heard that Objective C was (is?) popular on Macs.

How well does MacDX work? There''s WineX for DirectX on Linux, but it doesn''t work that well.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
quote:Original post by Magmai Kai Holmlor
I''ve heard that Objective C was (is?) popular on Macs.

Yep - it''s the native language for OSX, really. Most of the NeXT stuff came in using it, and a large part of the Mac dev tools are centered around generating Obj-C code (Interface Builder, anyone)?

However, what people tend to do is mix Objective-C and C++ to create - yes, you guessed it - Objective-C++. You can switch from Obj-C to C++ in the middle of a function or thereabouts, and the compiler handles it fine.

OpenGL is the graphics API of choice - you *could* use things like MacDX but all they do is end up passing calls through to OpenGL; they''re taking advantage of n00bs and people in a rush who didn''t design their apps to allow for multiple renderers properly. I''m not sure about input and sound - I just use SDL and FMOD - though networking is straight berkely sockets.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.
Enginuity1 | Enginuity2 | Enginuity3 | Enginuity4

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

quote:How well does MacDX work? There''s WineX for DirectX on Linux, but it doesn''t work that well

Id like to know this too. Unfortuanetly I dont know anyone who''s used this, and besides, superpig makes a good point. However, sometimes time does not allow to design for multiple renderer use, or it is just not needed. And using something like MacDX is a really nifty (and apparently quick) solution to port your app to mac.
quote:what is programming on Mac like?

It is like sliding down a razor blade and landing in a barrel of monkey snot.

[edited by - jeeky on September 1, 2003 12:01:34 PM]

[edited by - jeeky on September 1, 2003 12:02:20 PM]
It feels like warm apple pie.

[ Everwood on DVD petition ]
quote:Original post by jeeky
quote:what is programming on Mac like?

It is like sliding down a razor blade and landing in a barrel of monkey snot.

It is like sliding down a razor blade and landing in a barrel of monkey snot liquidized salt.
[size=2]aliak.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement