is there any alternative of C++

Started by
24 comments, last by ehsen 20 years, 7 months ago
Latin is a Death language! :mrgreen:

Advertisement
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Yeah, you can knock out some dinky asteroids clone in VB, or you can do some stuffy professor''s reserch in fortran or something, but who cares? *snip*

And you could knock out some "dinky" asteroids clone in C/C++ as well so I fail to see your point.

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer,fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about thedouble-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon... -- Terry Pratchett
C++ is a nice language, but it''s hardly "modern". In fact it''s quite antiquated in many respects.
Yeah, you can knock out some dinky asteroids clone in VB, or you can do some stuffy professor''s reserch in fortran or something, but who cares? If you want power, speed, convenience, features...go with a modern language like C++. For QUALITY games it''s the only choice.

While C++ is most likely more powerful than vb, I have seen some pretty impressive things done in vb. Such as a first person shooter by nes8bit.

And Dave did see the ad of penis enlargement, and gazing upon His holy manhood, He did thrust the spam into the firey depths of hell.- Book of Dave, 1:7
If you want power, speed, convenience, features...go with a modern language like C++.

I like C++ a lot, and use it for all my personal projects as well as professionally (though not for games). But I wouldn't go so far as to call it modern . It's more than 15 years old now, and while it definitely holds performance benefits over newer (more modern) languages like Java and C#, it lacks many of the features that were added to them for convenience, like reflection and garbage collection.

I agree with the general leaning of this thread that learning C++ is probably the best idea, especially if you want to consider going into professional game development.

But don't confuse the language's efficiency with modern-ness or a further state of evolution. After all, one wouldn't call a powerful 1960s muscle car more modern than a new civic just because it's faster

EDIT: Looks like the above AP beat me to the punch on this one

[edited by - Qoy on August 31, 2003 7:25:11 PM]
Is there any alternative of [sic] C++.

Yes.

[ Start Here ! | How To Ask Smart Questions | Recommended C++ Books | C++ FAQ Lite | Function Ptrs | CppTips Archive ]
[ Header Files | File Format Docs | LNK2001 | C++ STL Doc | STLPort | Free C++ IDE | Boost C++ Lib | MSVC6 Lib Fixes ]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement