Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

logout

How are games like ....

logout    122
How are games like ''The Longest Jounrey'' and ''Monkey Island 3'' Created ? More spesific: How does the game know where the caracters can go ? As to me these games look like 3d games but im quite sure they aint ... btw TLJ is the best game ever ! *in this catagory ofc* Plz give me some help, and links to any artikes like this would also be great .. Thanks!

Waverider    169
It's possible there is a 3D representation of all walkable surfaces and barriers that are used to block the character's movements. I would imagine that representation is part of the scene generation so that it doesn't have to be done as a second step in the preparation at a later time. The representation itself isn't rendered - it's just used to guide the character around the scene.

I never played the game, so I'm just taking a guess.

[edited by - Waverider on August 31, 2003 5:48:59 PM]

M3d10n    170
You mean games with 3D characters over pre-rendered/photographed/hand draw backgrounds?

Waverider hit the nail: usually there is a 3D scene data used for collision, and the camera is positioned by hand to match the background view. If the backgrounds are pre-rendered, the process is much easier, since you can use the very same 3D modelling software where those are being generated to export the camera settings and a much less detailed version of the scene to be used for collisions.

Ah, yes, if you want the characters to properly walk behind background objects, you need to write this invisible scene to the Z-buffer only. This way the hidden geometry will be able to mask the character.