scripting in games

Started by
4 comments, last by TonyFish 20 years, 7 months ago
Hiya, I''m writing a small theorectical, non-technical paper on scripting languages and use in games. I was thinking of started with a brief introduction on the history of scripting languages in general and their numerous applications and then slide into a discussion of the gaming applications. I was hoping some of you could give me some ideas and mode importantly a vague chronology of the evolution of scripting within the gaming industry. I know that the first applications where merely for things like storing large quantities of text and so on but I''m interested in how things evolved up until today''s oo/proceedural systems (along with actual references to specific landmark titles). Additionaly I may eventually write a small demo by incorporating an existing system like lua into my engine. I was wondering what kind of uses of such a scripting system would be good demonstrations of the flexibility of the concept. Many Thanks <Fish>{
<Fish>{
Advertisement
From your post it seems like you want someone else to do the work for you. Good luck.
Not at all. I'm just not particularly acquainted with landmarks in gaming scripting. All I was asking for was a few game titles for ME to investigate. I fail to see in what way that is 'asking others to do the work for me'. Maybe I was not clear about what I was actually asking for. Appologies for the confusion.

[edited by - TonyFish on August 31, 2003 7:45:38 PM]
<Fish>{
SCUMM

Look up that. One of the early scripting engines by Lucasarts, they''re still using it.

Oli

All the best problems start with C

Manta-X - A 3D arcade shoot-''em-up [In development]
I was thinking more along the lines of first person style games but yes SCUMM is indeed very interesting. Thanks
<Fish>{
Sorry then, TonyFish. I probably misunderstood this part (maybe I missed the word "vague"). I thought you wanted to get a huge chronological list or something.

quote:Original post by TonyFish
I was hoping some of you could give me some ideas and mode importantly a vague chronology of the evolution of scripting within the gaming industry.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement