2d tetris game-what do i need to know?

Started by
8 comments, last by Demerdar 20 years, 7 months ago
Alright, after about a year of c++ work, I have decided I would like to create a basic 2d tetris game. I have no idea where to start, i have been reading this boards for the past few days now but I still have no idea where to start. Can I use OGL or are will you reccomend SGL? Help would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
Use whatever API you''re comfortable with. Hell, use a DOS console window if you want. Just use what you want to use, and you''ll be fine.
my first tetris was with windows GDI, you can use any way you want to display graphics, but if you are making tetris the game to learn off of, the engine itself is most important i think. You can make the rendering part interchangable too, in case you want to change it later. OGL is fairly easy though. If you haven't done any OGL before and you want to make tetris for it, I suggest checking out NeHe for a few days following up the tutorials they're really good. Then once you feel comfortable with that, go to your tetris

correction: my first tetris was in dos console ^^, but still focus on the engine!

also i didnt think of this before but, if you havent done windows programming before though, I would stick with console tetris too, unless you want to learn win32 api first

[edited by - drekkar on August 31, 2003 8:41:59 PM]
Yeah, I'm not sure on how to make an engine either =p.

I have done a years worth of c++ in windows.

[edited by - Demerdar on August 31, 2003 8:43:42 PM]
The word "Engine" is a very loose word. Its just a system of running the game, normally broken down into sections like: Graphics, Input, Sound, Logic, AI (if any), etc.

So just dive in programming, breaking it up into classes or structs as you go along. Eventually you''ll have a very ineffecient engine that you''ll improve upon over time.
oh god I cant'' even compile nehe''s tutorial. I take it, make a win32 application. I link everything im supposed to but it can''t link and.obj I didnt even understand where the code even starts... is there even a main()?
there is a WinMain
Anyways if you dont know about winmain you should probably learn windows programming first, at least the basics. One thing that i _REALLY_ had a problem with as a beginner was learning how to compile windows programs. You have to change subsystem:console to subsystem:windows and link glu32.lib opengl32.lib and glaux.lib (or something like that, i dont know them perfect off hand )
You should get a book. THat will explain everything. It looks like you need to understand Windows. Search for some tutorials.

Scott Simontis
e-mail:ageofscott@comcast.net
AIM:ssimontis
Scott SimontisMy political blog
start with a dos project. learning the basics of 2D graphics is the most important now. The engine development is a tough but very informative process. also basic concepts like collision detection , Moving polygons scaling, rotation and eliminating lines is also important.
Whatever
you could try directx, ive found the 2d part fairly easy, even though its a bit daunting at first. But I would recommend ogl, even though i havent used it, ive heard its easier to use, and if anything faster

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement