C++ vs C#

Started by
4 comments, last by ehsen 20 years, 7 months ago
In my previous post people said c++ is best , powerful and so on. But some people say that C# is better then C++ but here is another confusion when we talk about C# it is almost equal to vb.net(in power and performance) both languages target the .Net framework the only difference is syntax so why i need to migrate to a new language. Sometimes i feel that a program which is purely programed in vb.net is little slow almost takes 2 or 3 seconds more then anyother program. but during runtime it does not create any problem it is perfect while handling the heavy data so i think vb.net can be a better choice. And you people what you think about .net framework as game development envoirenment. Ehsen
Ehsen
Advertisement
please lock this thread before it becomes a flamewar
____________________________________________________________AAAAA: American Association Against Adobe AcrobatYou know you hate PDFs...
I personally know little about VB (I used it in school when I had to VB5) I have read alot on .NET and the different MS languages for it. I have also heard that going from VB6->VB.NET is pretty much like learning a new language, it''s just that you know the basic syntax. It introduces OOP and some other stuff that makes some big changes. I know VB6 *had* OOP but it was pretty bad (A friend of mine used VB6 but he might be kinda biased seeing as he uses C++ more) Anyway I have heard that going from VB6->C# and then going back to VB.NET is a better way to go. Some bonuses of using C# is the "unsafe" operator which allows you to screw with pointers and stuff like that (anything that could potentionally screw up your program or computer, hence the name "unsafe") Anyway I would use whatever looks good and you can "get the hang of" quickest. You are right about the speed of the .net languages C++ is faster than C# is faster than VB but the difference is not that noticable.
-sorry for any spelling mistakes
Experiment! Pick up some free compilers and try coding a bit at each one. Look at source code. Which one is easiest for you? Which one will fit your budget and programming needs? That should answer your question.
EDIT: Fixed spelling mistake.

Scott Simontis
e-mail:ageofscott@comcast.net
AIM:ssimontis

[edited by - ssimontis on September 1, 2003 9:15:56 AM]
Scott SimontisMy political blog
Well, what language are you familiar with? If none, C# may have some stuff that makes programming easier, like Garbage Collection. Both you can use for free, C++ with Dev-C++, and C# with sharpdevelop.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement