Array of pointers question

Started by
8 comments, last by MARS_999 20 years, 7 months ago
I feel stupid for asking this beings I use pointer all the time but not to this extent. Here it goes... I have an array of pointers such as this

unsigned char *array[SOME_VALUE];
now I want to access each byte in each element of that pointer array. is this correct??

unsigned char temp = array[0][/*bytes are found here*/];
Thanks
Advertisement
This is one way of how to use a char pointer array:

#include <string.h>void main() {	unsigned char *array[255];	unsigned char temp[255];		strcpy(temp, "blah");	// write "blah" to temp	array[0] = new char[strlen(temp)+1];	// define array[0]	strcpy(array[0], temp);	// write temp to array[0]	// Do whatever you want with array[]	delete [] array[0];	// delete array once your finished}

Edit: edited source above a bit

Now array[0] equals the word blah.

Hope this makes sense, if not I can help more.

- BlueDev

BlueDev Net

[edited by - BlueDev on August 31, 2003 10:56:47 PM]
[/quote]
I understand that. What I need is accessing each byte of each pointer in the pointer array. Hope that makes sense. I want to have a pointer array that holds however many .tga files imagedata that I need to so I can acces each byte for color. Hope that clears up my problem.
Thanks
unsigned char tmp = *array[/*element number*/];
quote:Original post by drekkar
unsigned char tmp = *array[/*element number*/];

But what if I want to access each individual byte in each pointer in the pointer array?

*array[0]//now that I have element 0 I want to access its bytes

Thanks
ok i think i understand what you are asking now..

unsigned byte specificByte = *(array[0]+#);

where # is the offset of the byte you want to access, 0 is the first (like arrays) 1 is the 2nd etc

// just a quick example of showing how to access them specifically
// this would make the 256 bytes that array[0] is pointing to 255

int i;
for(i=0; i<256; i++){
*(array[0]+i) = 255;
}

[edited by - drekkar on September 1, 2003 1:04:42 AM]
What if I have a multidim array like this how do I access it for address and for variable value?

int **ip = new int*[10];for(int x = 0; x < 10; x++)ip[x] = new int[10];for(x = 0; x < 10; x++)delete []ip[x];delete []ip;

Now what I have posted means I have an int array that has int pointers right?

so how do I do this with the posted code above?
int *p = new int(10);cout << p << "equals address";cout << *p << "equals value";//how do I go about this with multidim arrays that are allocated dynamically?

thanks
its basically the same thing as before but instead of having bytes, it points to a bunch of pointers
*(ip[pointerIndex]+pointerOffset) = value;

pointerIndex is the number from ip[10];
pointerOffset is one of the individual 10 pointers that ip[#] points to

to show the address/value...
cout << "address: " << (ip[0]+0) << endl;
cout << "value: " << *(ip[0]+0) << endl;

the same index/offset thing from above applies to the showing
bagel time ^^

[edited by - drekkar on September 1, 2003 2:48:11 AM]
Simple.
for(int i=0; i<nb_array; ++i){   unsigned char *one_array = array[i];   for(int j=0; j<size_of_array[i]; ++j){      cout << one_array[j];   }}

You have to keep the size of each array in size_of_array, but that''s inevitable.

But, as the C++ FAQ Lite will tell you, this is the wrong solution to the problem. The real solution would be to use a std::vector of std::vector.

Cédric
Hey Drekkar is this incorrect or correct. It seems to be working both ways?

//your wayfor(int a = 0; a < imageSize; a +=colorMode){	colorSwap = *(imageData[index] + a);	*(imageData[index] + a) = *(imageData[index] + (a + 2));	*(imageData[index] + (a + 2)) = colorSwap;}//my wayfor(int a = 0; a < imageSize; a +=colorMode){colorSwap = imageData[index][a];imageData[index][a] = imageData[index][a + 2];imageData[index][a + 2] = colorSwap;}

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement