Ping and Lag Question

Started by
2 comments, last by SumDude 20 years, 7 months ago
This might be in the wrong topic but oh well. This also might seem a bit newbish but i''m just a bit curious. Last night i had a conversation with a guy on Counter-Strike and he said that someone with 56k can lag a server with bad ping. I don''t think a high pinger can lag a server. I think the reason why he thinks high pingers lag the server because it takes longer to travel or too slow to reach it''s destination and once it reaches it''s destination the server catches up and gives the high pinger a sort of jumpy or lagging effect. Can you guys clear this up for me?
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Looking for video game music? Check out some of my samples at http://www.youtube.c...ser/cminortunes            

I'm currently looking to create music for a project, if you are interested e-mail me at cminortunes@gmail.com    

Please only message me for hobby projects, I am not looking to create music for anything serious.
Advertisement
What you perceive as lag is the correction that your front end displays when it has missed out on incoming data from the server.

Say your front end is displaying what is happening in the game. It receives a message from the server: player A is at location x,y,z and is moving in the x direction at 5 units per second.

Your front end then happily execustes this and you see the character move in the x direction at that speed.

But due to network latency (lag) you either miss out on subsequent messages about that character''s velocity and they have to be resent, or the messages just take a relatively long time to get to you. Your end of the game is oblivious of this and continues moving the character along the x axis at 5 units per second. Then the charcter suddenly "pops" back to his actual location when your machine finally catches up with the actual status of the game upon receipt of the needed packets of game information.

A player lagging has no impact on the server itself, other than packets having to be resent. (if your end of the game is expecting a packet and it never arrives, after a certain amount of time, termed a ''time out'', you will send a message to the server saying "hey, send packet #1300 or whatever again". This is a hardly noticable impact.
Don''t be fooled. Anyone who tries to convince you that a laggy player will cause the server itself to lag is ignorant of how the system actually works, or has had experience with very poorly written servers. I''m pretty sure counterstrike servers do not fall into the latter category.
My stuff.Shameless promotion: FreePop: The GPL god-sim.
Lag- A condition mostly experienced in games one a client misses oncoming data packets and must slow down the game while he recieves them. This can lead to server time-outs, massive lag for other players, and several other conditions.
Ping>- The time it takes for a data packet to travel between the host and a client.
Sometimes these get confusing, because some games use a peer to peer server instead of the host to client server.

Scott Simontis
e-mail:ageofscott@comcast.net
AIM:ssimontis
Scott SimontisMy political blog

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement